× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disappearing iSCSCI drive on RN628X

ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Disappearing iSCSCI drive on RN628X

Since 2018 (since the update to firmware 6.9.4) I have the issue with my RN628X that the drive that I linked to my windows 10 PC via iSCSCI is disappearing. The changes that the drive disappears seems to grow when there is a lot of data being exchanged over it. I use the iSCSI drive to back-up my iPhones using Apple's iTunes software and the chances that I lose the drive (D:\ in my instance) while a back-up is running is more than 50%. This is very annoying as it means the back-up is corripted so I habve to start all over again and as the back-up is quite sizable that consumes a lot of time. What can I do to investigate and to alter to stabilize the iSCSI drive? And while the drive is lost all the other SMB shares to the NAS becomes unresponsive as well. It seem that my RN628X can't cope with the load while this is the only thing that it is doing at that moment (no other active users and or devices).

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Disappearing iSCSCI drive on RN628X

@ronaldvr2132

Sorry for the late response. Can you provide a screenshot of any error you are experiencing.

Are the LUNS still on the NAS? It is just the target the disappeared on the Computer?

Have you checked if there were any network changes?

Regards

Message 2 of 6
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

There is nothing to screenshot. I have a D drive, it disappears without any message and surfaces again later as well. It seems the NAS is quity busy, but I don't have a clue what it is doing. Other than indexing and the antivirus services, which I would not expect to have a big performance impact when not a lot of files are changing I don't do anything that for me could explain that the NAS is so busy. Anyway I disabled the iSCSI drive and attached an external hard drive which is now working just fine.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

There is nothing to screenshot. I have a D drive, it disappears without any message and surfaces again later as well. 

It also be a network issue.

Message 4 of 6
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

That could well be and iof so than I suspect my Netgear Orbi set. This set is running in AP mode and I have noticed quite some times that my wired network becomes unresponsive when I work on the settings of my Netgear Orbi or perform a firmware update. Lately I tried to reinstall the same firmware as the Orbi does not show the connected devices any longer and then a lot of wired connections got disrupted. Ao it seems the Oribi is creating a kind of storm on my wired ethernet.....

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

That could well be and iof so than I suspect my Netgear Orbi set. This set is running in AP mode and I have noticed quite some times that my wired network becomes unresponsive when I work on the settings of my Netgear Orbi or perform a firmware update. 

What Orbi model do you own?  I use the RBK50, and haven't run into any recent issues (though I use it in router mode with ethernet backhaul).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements