× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disaster Recovery Share Size

rantech
Aspirant

Disaster Recovery Share Size

Recently setup a new 524 about a month ago.  I have 3 shares that have been setup with DR - they take daily snapshots and I've created DR jobs (Instant).

However, when I review the share listing, one of the three DR shares reports a size consumed exactly equal to the original share. The other two DR shares report a size consumed of "0".  I'm not sure I Capture 524.JPGunderstand the difference in behavoir and why one of three shares has a DR share that is equal in size whereas the other two shares have DR shares that have nothing in them. 

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 1 of 7
crazy_toy
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Disaster Recovery Share Size

Hi rantech

Does readyDR job log has any error?

Message 2 of 7
rantech
Aspirant

Log (history) doesn't seem to show any errors ... what is the normal behavoir, if I create a new share, populate it with files but never change the files, should the DR backup be zero size or equal to the original share size? 

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The DR backup should start at the size of the source share (excluding any snapshots on the source share).

Message 4 of 7
rantech
Aspirant

I have browsed the snapshots in the DR Shares and the folders and files appear to be there ?  How do I confirm for sure whether (1) all the DR Recovery Shares are working properly and have all the DR files and the problem is an error in the share size reported by the NAS or (2) the share size reported is correct and two of the DR shares do not have the disaster recovery snapshots?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@rantech wrote:

I have browsed the snapshots in the DR Shares and the folders and files appear to be there ?  How do I confirm for sure whether (1) all the DR Recovery Shares are working properly and have all the DR files and the problem is an error in the share size reported by the NAS or (2) the share size reported is correct and two of the DR shares do not have the disaster recovery snapshots?

I haven't done much with DR shares, and when I did play with them I didn't have the DR shares on the same volume as the main shares.  You do of course, and that might explain the 0 size.

You can try restoring the DR share to a different destination, and see if the files all show up.

Message 6 of 7
rantech
Aspirant

Since it is a new box, I opened a support case with Netgear.  They are investigating ... it appears this behavoir is unusual and may have something to do with the fact the DR shares are on the same box/volume which is unusual.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements