× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disaster Recovery in Server Failures

JonBServerGeek
Aspirant

Disaster Recovery in Server Failures

Good afternoon.

have a question on options for disaster recovery. I have several ReadyNAS servers all running OS 6.10.4, a ReadyNAS 424, and a ReadyNAS 312.

In the event of a server unit failure (not a drive failure), would I be able to transplant the drives directly from either of these units into a new ReadyNAS 3130 ? (a unit that is currently available)
I suspect the answer is 'yes' on ReadyNAS 424, but I'm not 100% sure (Raid 5, 4 drives)
The bigger question is on the ReadyNAS 312. (Raid 1, 2 drives)

I guess my question(s) really is/are 'in the same hardware/processor series, is all the configuration information embedded on the drives themselves, and can the OS handle being transplanted without user intervention?'

My guess on all this is 'yes, Jon' as I know this is possible with the Linux distributions I use (and the OS is based on Debian).

Thanks again.

Jpn B

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Disaster Recovery in Server Failures

You can move the volume to another NAS as lng as it has enough bays.  If moving between ARM and Intel architecture, it is best if you remove any apps first, but you can't do that if you have no working chassis of the right type.  But I believe you can still remove and re-install most after the change.

Netgear only officially covers the migration from ARM to Intel, as they expect a user to upgrade.  But I have done the opposite without any issue, though not for a long usage period.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

You can move the volume to another NAS as lng as it has enough bays.  If moving between ARM and Intel architecture, it is best if you remove any apps first, but you can't do that if you have no working chassis of the right type.  But I believe you can still remove and re-install most after the change.

Netgear only officially covers the migration from ARM to Intel, as they expect a user to upgrade.  But I have done the opposite without any issue, though not for a long usage period.

Message 2 of 3
JonBServerGeek
Aspirant

OK thanks. Your reply indicates my ideas are in the right direction.  I wouldn't be crossing the processor families; I know that can be highly problematic. (I'm a member of an OS server suite Open Source Project) 

I'm hoping to never be in that predicament, but I dd just have to explain to a seniot partner how ugly the scenario could be, given RaedyNAS equipment availbility currently.

After I explamed how long we might need to recover, I got an OK for a 'worst-case' disaster recovery plan using a backup server.

Thanks again, Cheers!

Jon B

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements