× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disc Fail Resync Question

David_Smith
Aspirant

Disc Fail Resync Question

Happy Thanksgiving.

I have (2) 4 TB discs in my unit.  The admin page showed the "disc state" for the disc 2 as having failed.  I decided that I should reboot the unit and make sure it wasn't some type of error before I purchased another hard drive.  Now that I did, instead of showing "disc state" as "failed" it shows it as "RESYNC" and a resync is in progress (currently at 0%).  Question:

Does this mean the disc likely isn't bad after all, pending a successful resync?  Has anyone ever seen a drive show up as failed, only to have it require a resync on reboot?

Thanks!

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disc Fail Resync Question

@David_Smith wrote:

I see 1963 reallocated sectors and after well over 24 hours the resync is only 1.74% complete. 

I generally replace disks before they reach 50 reallocated sectors, so I think it is a bad disk.  

You can check warranty status and execute the return from WDC's web page.  If you are in the US, they offer a service to send you the replacement first, with a return label.  It's a reasonable deal, and is the fastest way to get the replacement.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

I have known of "green" drives that produced that when the self-parking of the heads caused a problem with the RAID.  A failing drive can also come up and look OK for a while and the NAS will attempt to resync with it.  It may fail the sync, or it may complete and the drive will fail again later.  Check the SMART statistics.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@David_Smith wrote:

Does this mean the disc likely isn't bad after all, pending a successful resync?  Has anyone ever seen a drive show up as failed, only to have it require a resync on reboot?

Certainly something bad happened related to that disk.  I agree with @Sandshark that you should look at the SMART stats.   If it were my disk, I'd pull it and and test it in a PC with vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital). I'd include the destructive write-zeros test, because I've found that it will sometimes detect issues that the non-destructive tests miss.

I wouldn't assume that all is well, even if the system does successfully resync.

Message 3 of 6
David_Smith
Aspirant

Thanks both of you.  I don't know a lot about hard drives but looking at the stats I suspect something is very wrong with the disc even though it is trying to resync.  I see 1963 reallocated sectors and after well over 24 hours the resync is only 1.74% complete.  I am going to make sure I have a backup and get on the phone with WD and try to get a replacement, I bought commerical drives and I believe it should still be under warranty.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@David_Smith wrote:

I see 1963 reallocated sectors and after well over 24 hours the resync is only 1.74% complete. 

I generally replace disks before they reach 50 reallocated sectors, so I think it is a bad disk.  

You can check warranty status and execute the return from WDC's web page.  If you are in the US, they offer a service to send you the replacement first, with a return label.  It's a reasonable deal, and is the fastest way to get the replacement.

Message 5 of 6
David_Smith
Aspirant

Thanks again, good info, I'm signing up for the advance replacement.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements