× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disc errors, how do I know if a disc is bad?

AbbottWins
Follower

Disc errors, how do I know if a disc is bad?

Hi all,

I am having problems with my NV+ v2, I cannot write large files to it, and by large I mean >1Gig. When I try doing this the action times out. While looking into this a little more I have noticed that when I power cycle the unit and it performs a volume scan errors are found and supposedly correct. In the email that the unit sent me has the following read out:

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
/dev/mapper/c-c: recovering journal
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Inode 28125427, i_blocks is 599952, should be 599960. Fix? yes
Inode 45056006, i_size is 589810297856, should be 605472948224. Fix? yes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/mapper/c-c: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

I am not a IT expert but I do know that this is not good and is more than likely the root cause of my copying issue. My question to the experts on this forum is how do I fix this? How do I run a volume scan without power cycling the whole unit? If there is only one drive that the errors are on I would easily replace the drive but how do I know what one? I have look at the Smart Status and every device is showing 0 errors.

I am running a NV+2 with RAIDiator 5.3.7 and 4x WD harddrives (Red).

Have anyone else had this issue? What did you do to over come this?

Thanks,
AbbottWins
Message 1 of 13
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Disc errors, how do I know if a disc is bad?

There is an option in the admin interface to display the status of the drives under system / status.
There is another option to download the logs under system / info; there you can check the disk smart information (and other system information if you were interested).

You would be looking for Reallocated Sectors and ATA Errors are the main indicators of a failing drive.

If you got the drives with the units, it might be under warranty with NETGEAR, so you can call support for the replacement. If you got the drives separately, then you will need to work with the warranty of the drive manufacture.
Message 2 of 13
chirpa
Luminary

AbbottWins wrote:
I am having problems with my NV+ v2, I cannot write large files to it, and by large I mean >1Gig. When I try doing this the action times out.
How full is your volume? Your symptoms sound exactly like this known issue: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68342.
A fix is promised in 5.3.8, but so far the private NDA testing has not proved success.
Message 3 of 13
jfreeman3
Aspirant

I receive emails once or twice a week that Drive 1 on my NV+ "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day", with a sector count summary. When I check the SMART Information for the Drive at Drive Status Health the Reallocated Sector Count is 0. When emails started about one month ago I replaced the drive with new same drive - Seagate ST3500630NS and I am still getting the email message on the new drive, with Health indicating Reallocated Sector Count is 0.
Message 4 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have any USB disks connected?
Message 5 of 13
jfreeman3
Aspirant

I have a USB Drive Connected
Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The reallocated sectors might be on that USB disk.
Message 7 of 13
jfreeman3
Aspirant

is there a way to check
Message 8 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you download all logs is the USB disk mentioned in the disk SMART log?
Message 9 of 13
jfreeman3
Aspirant

There is no mention of the USB in the disk SMART Log
Message 10 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try hooking up the USB disk to your PC and seeing if you can use a utility to check the SMART stats.

Or if you are comfortable with SSH you could check the SMART stats of the USB disk while it is still connected to the NAS using the smartctl command
Message 11 of 13
jfreeman3
Aspirant

I just did a file system check of the USB and received the following message "Filesystem check completed. Some errors were found. Please connect the USB drive to a Windows PC and run a full filesystem check. [Office_USB]
[Sat Apr 27 10:45:53 EDT 2013]" so I will do that when I get back to the office on Monday and run a SMART check utility, as well. I will report the results.

Thanks for your help so far.
Message 12 of 13
jfreeman3
Aspirant

Well, I hooked up the USB disk to my PC and used Seagate's Sea Tools check the SMART stats and the drive. No SMART errors were reported or File Structure or any other errors. Reconnected USB to NAS.

Back-ups to the USB have been successful. Still getting email notifications and Log entries saying that Disk 1 Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. but no Health report for Disk 1 shows 0 Reallocated Sectors.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements