× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disc failure? "No disks detected"

BeatCrazy
Aspirant

Disc failure? "No disks detected"

Hi gang,

I seem to have a serious problem on my hands with my ReadyNAS NV. I came home after a few days out of town to find the NAS not accessible, and I could hear the HDD inside ticking about twice a second. I could not access the device via FrontView. I did a hard reboot, and after it came back up, RAIDar says "No disks detected" and I have the second LED flashing, then all four, then repeating. Nothing on the activity light, power button is on fast blink.

I pulled out the single 2TB Samsung HDD drive in the NV, and put in a single newly-formatted 320GB, just to see if I can get booting. RAIDar doesn't like that, and says "Corrupt". I guess I'm not supposed to mix "new" discs in, even if I pull a failed one out.

How can I verify my 2TB Samsung drive has failed? Is it pretty much a given, considering the symptoms?

One thing I'd like to do, is use the front USB to my backup HDD, so I can at least access the data via USB Share. I tried it, that doesn't work. I guess if the NV can't boot with at least one good disc, it won't let you use the USB Share? Any way around this? I can run off my backup while the original disc gets replaced, but I need to access it via USB Share.

Thanks for any input,
Sam
Message 1 of 6
arjoseph1
Tutor

Re: Disc failure? "No disks detected"

It will better if you will contact support so that they can take a look into the status of your disk drives.
Message 2 of 6
BeatCrazy
Aspirant

Good idea, I contacted tech support.

Assume I just want to troubleshoot as a failed HDD, how in the world can I rebuild from my backup if the NV won't even boot? I'm assuming it won't boot because of disc failure, but it doesn't even like a "new" HDD.
Message 3 of 6
arjoseph1
Tutor

The support team will also be able to determine if there is a probelm with the chassis and if it needs to be replaced.
Message 4 of 6
BeatCrazy
Aspirant

It is looking more like a HDD failure. I can live with that, but my real problem is that I don't understand how to bring the NAS back up once I get a new HDD installed.

I cannot access FrontView, because the NV won't boot when I put in a new HDD.

I did not save a config file, and I had to do a factory reset and/or OS reinstall and lose all the settings of the NV.

My data is backed up on an external USB HDD. I can live with copy/paste back to the shares on the NV, but I don't know how to get it back to a state where it will accept data or have (empty) Shares.
Message 5 of 6
arjoseph1
Tutor

Have the NETGEAR support assist with that. I am sure that they will be able to help you.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements