× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disk Dead on ReadyNAS NVX (ReadyNASRNDX4000)

NVX-Paul
Aspirant

Disk Dead on ReadyNAS NVX (ReadyNASRNDX4000)

Hi,

I'm really hoping that some genius out there can help me with this, especially as I am not deeply technical myself.

My NVX goes back to something like 2009!  I use it mainly for quick, informal backup and archiving.  I have no backup of the NVX itself.

The NVX has x4 465GB disks with RAID.

I must have missed the notification but when looking for some specific files to recover, I noticed that a disk was listed as Dead so I bought a replacement of the same make, model and size.  I popped this in and got a message "New disk detected. If multiple disks have been added, they will be processed one at a time. Please do not remove any added disk(s) during this time. [Disk 2]" then nothing.

Trying to work out what to do, I then noticed that another disk 3 was starting to error and read that attempting a disk recovery in this case could trigger a further disk failure and loss of the volume.

Hence, I bought another new disk, shut down the NVX and cloned the failing disk.  I popped the cloned disk in, booted the NVX and there was a "Volume scan failed to run properly" message but three disks showed as green with disk 2 still dead.

This time, I popped the new disk 2 in after having formatted it.  Same acknowledgement that there was a new disk and then nothing.

Anybody got some insight on how I might move forward on this?

Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Can you try powering down the NAS, and insert the original disks (but leaving slot 2 empty).  Then try booting it up skipping the volume scan.  Instructions on doing that are on pages 21-22 of the hardware manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p...

If that works  (and gives you access to the data), then back up your files over the network.

After the data is safe, then try hot-inserting disk 2 again, and wait for it to resync.  If it fails, you can always restore data with the backup.  If it works, then hot-swap disk 3 with the clone - which will resync again.

Message 2 of 15
NVX-Paul
Aspirant

Thank you for responding, Stephen.

I followed your instructions, putting the original disk 3 back in after powerdown, leaving disk 2 empty, then booted skipping the scan

Unfortunately, this is not looking too good as now both disk 2 (empty bay) and disk 3 are showing as dead.

There was also a message: "The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. Backup_Paul media backup"

The specific data volume noted is not my primary data concern.

There are no volumes listed on Frontview.

Do your have any further suggestions?  Perhaps I should try the cloned drive 3 again while skipping the scan on boot?

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@NVX-Paul wrote:

Do your have any further suggestions?  Perhaps I should try the cloned drive 3 again while skipping the scan on boot?

Yes, and perhaps also try the original drive 3 also.

@NVX-Paul wrote:

"The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. Backup_Paul media backup"

The specific data volume noted is not my primary data concern.

Backup_Paul media backup would be a share, not a volume.  The volumes on the NVX use letter names (starting with C).  Normally there is only one.

Are you using FlexRaid or the default XRAID?

Message 4 of 15
NVX-Paul
Aspirant

OK will try again with the cloned disk 3.

The NVX was set up maybe 10 years ago in a SOHO and I have no technical knolwdge so I am assuming XRAID for dummies.

Message 5 of 15
NVX-Paul
Aspirant

Sorry to say that trying the cloned Disk 3 ended up the same with no volumes available.  I even tried a test clone I made to a larger disk with no success.

I guess that this is not looking too hopeful?

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Did you do a sector by sector copy when you did the cloning?

@NVX-Paul wrote:

I guess that this is not looking too hopeful?

Unfortunately not.

Netgear does offer a data recovery service - https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Another option would be to use RAID recovery software: https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/Download.shtml  You would need to find a way to connect at least three disks (preferably all four) to a Windows PC - using either SATA or a USB adapter/dock.

Message 7 of 15
NVX-Paul
Aspirant

I used an inatek docking station that has an offline copy function (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LN0GX4I).  I have no idea how it achieves this, I just pressed the button :(.

I will look into the links you provided and post how I get on (one way or another).

Thanks again for your help.

Message 8 of 15
NVX-Paul
Aspirant

@StephenB got a strange email from netgear suggesting one of your comments has been sellected as the solution and only wish that was actually the case.  Nevertheless, thanks again for all your help. It is very much appreciated

Anyway, to update, I have now popped all the old disks back into the NVX for "safe keeping" (a little ironical, I think).

Netgear's data recovery charges are way to much for me so I am currently trying to find a local expert that might be able to help.

Disappointed that, when it came to the crunch, the Netgear RAID solution has not worked for me.

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@NVX-Paul wrote:

@StephenB got a strange email from netgear suggesting one of your comments has been sellected as the solution and only wish that was actually the case.  Nevertheless, thanks again for all your help. It is very much appreciated

Not sure how that email happened, but it doesn't look like any posts on this thread were marked as a solution.  I'm happy to help, but wish we'd landed on a solution to get your data back. Smiley Frustrated

@NVX-Paul wrote:

Netgear's data recovery charges are way to much for me so I am currently trying to find a local expert that might be able to help.

Disappointed that, when it came to the crunch, the Netgear RAID solution has not worked for me.

RAID-5 (which is what you were using) can't handle two disk failures.  RAID (from any vendor) isn't enough to keep your data safe, you need backups to do that.  While RAID protection is useful (even if not 100%), I think the main benefit is that it will keep your data on-line during routine disk replacements and expansion.

@NVX-Paul wrote:

so I am currently trying to find a local expert that might be able to help.

You can get a 4-bay disk enclosure for about $100 (current US amazon pricing), and R-Studio recovery software would add about another $60.  So that would be another option perhaps.

Message 10 of 15
NVX-Paul
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

You can get a 4-bay disk enclosure for about $100 (current US amazon pricing), and R-Studio recovery software would add about another $60.  So that would be another option perhaps.

OK, you are saying I can buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mediasonic-HF7-SU3S3-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B071VM6HCR

and install the R-Studio software to automatically recover what it can from my files?

Not sure if R-Studio would connect to my existing NVX and the new exclosure is just to store the results of the recovery

or

the disks would need to be taken out and put into the new enclosure and the recovered data stored elsewhere?

Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@NVX-Paul wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mediasonic-HF7-SU3S3-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B071VM6HCR

and install the R-Studio software to automatically recover what it can from my files?

Yes

@NVX-Paul wrote:

Not sure if R-Studio would connect to my existing NVX and the new exclosure is just to store the results of the recovery

or

the disks would need to be taken out and put into the new enclosure and the recovered data stored elsewhere?

The disks would need to be taken out and put into the new enclosure (which would be connectred to a PC).  The recovered data would need to be offloaded somewhere.

There certainly is risk here, but the cost would be less than Netgear's initial data recovery charge (and would be capped).

Seagate also has a data recovery service where you'd mail them the disks.  I've never used it (or seen any feedback on it here).  But it might be worth looking at too. 

Message 12 of 15
NVX-Paul
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

There certainly is risk here, but the cost would be less than Netgear's initial data recovery charge (and would be capped).

I am inclined to have a go at this.

One issue when putting the NVX disks into an external enclosure (Inateck docking station), is that they are not recognised by Windows 10 File Explorer.  I think this maybe because they do not have a drive letter assigned and one is not automatically allocated.  The option to assign a drive letter is greyed out in Disk Management.  Do you know a way round this or whether this will not matter to R-Studio?

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Windows doesn't recognize the file system on the drives, so it won't mount them (e.g., give them drive letters).  That's not something you should try to fix, and it won't be a problem for R-studio.

Message 14 of 15
NVX-Paul
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Windows doesn't recognize the file system on the drives, so it won't mount them (e.g., give them drive letters).  That's not something you should try to fix, and it won't be a problem for R-studio.

I have found a local guy who does data recovery at reasonable prices so he is going to take a look at the NVX tomorrow and provide an accurate quote.  I liked your idea of DIY, and this may still be a backstop, but feel that I am likely to run into issues due to lack of knowledge / experience in this field.

Will post an outcome.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements