× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk Intermittently Showing as Missing, but Light is On. When it shows, no errors reported.

Missing
Follower

Disk Intermittently Showing as Missing, but Light is On. When it shows, no errors reported.

The first drive in my NAS keeps going "missing", at which point the LED flashes about "data degraded"  (but continues on working). If I go into the admin interface, it is missing, and I can't see anything obvious in the logs. However, the light still appears blue next to the drive on the physical unit.

After turning the device off pulling the drive in and out a few times and then rebooting, it showed back up. But I've now been through the situation a few times. When it has shown back up, there's been no bad sectors or any errors against the disk, and it's happily synched back to working correctly.

Is it likely to just be a dying disk, or does this sound like a problem with the bay? Where in the logs should I be looking to better troubleshoot this?

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 7.59.02 pm.png

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Disk Intermittently Showing as Missing, but Light is On. When it shows, no errors reported.

Hi @Missing

Welcome to the Community!

You can check your disk by removing it from the bay and connecting it to your PC and using the Manufacturer Tools like Seagate tool or WD lifeguard.

Checking on the logs will also help like what @Retired_Member provided.

You might want to replace it right now to avoid any data loss, this will also confirm if you really have a bad SATA connection. If ever it is the SATA connection that has the issue and your RN316 is under 5 years then it would be best to login to my.netgear.com and create a case to be able to contact Support and request RMA of the device. 

Backup your Data that is also one of the things to do right now.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Disk Intermittently Showing as Missing, but Light is On. When it shows, no errors reported.

Hi @Missing,

disk_info.log gives you heath data

mdstat.log gives you the raid status

sgdisk.log gives you partition info

smart_history.log lists (smat-)errors happened so far on your disks

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

For me, it smells like a bay problem (dirt, dust, loose contact).

Message 2 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Missing

Welcome to the Community!

You can check your disk by removing it from the bay and connecting it to your PC and using the Manufacturer Tools like Seagate tool or WD lifeguard.

Checking on the logs will also help like what @Retired_Member provided.

You might want to replace it right now to avoid any data loss, this will also confirm if you really have a bad SATA connection. If ever it is the SATA connection that has the issue and your RN316 is under 5 years then it would be best to login to my.netgear.com and create a case to be able to contact Support and request RMA of the device. 

Backup your Data that is also one of the things to do right now.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements