× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disk upgrade ReadyNAS 104

keith43
Aspirant

Disk upgrade ReadyNAS 104

Hello

I have a ReadyNAS 104 with 4 x 2TB drives. 

I wants to replace all 4 drives with 3TB drives.

I have taken a full backup to an external 2TB drive as I only had 1.39 TB of data in total.

Now do I hot swap ? or power down and remove.?

And which drive bay should I start with?

Once I have inserted a new drive and resync is complete, should I reboot then replace the next drive.

I have looked through a lot of posts on here but none appear to give a definitive answer.

Thanks

Keith

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you have made a backup, it will be faster to replace all the drives at once and let the system do a factory default on them, then restore the backup.  You'll skip the intermediate resyncs for 2 and 3 drives.  Of course, if you need concurrent access to the data, that doesn't work as well

But if you have not yet purchased the drives or can return them, may I suggest you go with 3x4TB instead of 4x3TB?  For about the same price, you get 1TB less to start (which you apparently don't need right away, anyway), but you can add one more 4TB later and get the full 4TB instead of having to replace them all again if you need another increase in space.  The next expansion is thus much more economical.

If you continue along your current course one by one, replace them with power on.  Order should be from most unreliable (based on any SMART errors, or the oldest) to most reliable.  Otherwise, order does not matter.  If you replace them all and restore the backup, do it with power off.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you have made a backup, it will be faster to replace all the drives at once and let the system do a factory default on them, then restore the backup.  You'll skip the intermediate resyncs for 2 and 3 drives.  Of course, if you need concurrent access to the data, that doesn't work as well

But if you have not yet purchased the drives or can return them, may I suggest you go with 3x4TB instead of 4x3TB?  For about the same price, you get 1TB less to start (which you apparently don't need right away, anyway), but you can add one more 4TB later and get the full 4TB instead of having to replace them all again if you need another increase in space.  The next expansion is thus much more economical.

If you continue along your current course one by one, replace them with power on.  Order should be from most unreliable (based on any SMART errors, or the oldest) to most reliable.  Otherwise, order does not matter.  If you replace them all and restore the backup, do it with power off.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

...But if you have not yet purchased the drives or can return them, may I suggest you go with 3x4TB instead of 4x3TB?  For about the same price, you get 1TB less to start (which you apparently don't need right away, anyway), but you can add one more 4TB later and get the full 4TB instead of having to replace them all again if you need another increase in space.  The next expansion is thus much more economical.

I agree, this would make the next expansion cheaper.

Message 3 of 7
keith43
Aspirant

The 3TB drives I have are FREE....  so thats why I am using them.

Thanks for the info

Message 4 of 7

You are lucky to have free HDD!

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

You are lucky to have free HDD!

That depends on their condition  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7

I see at least 2 things

First the firm in charge of the transport should be terminated due to mishandeling of boxes

Or the HDD were used by NASA to do some experiements!!

🙂 :)!!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements