× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk upgrade ReadyNAS RN102 - Process & how to relocate home folders

robmash
Aspirant

Disk upgrade ReadyNAS RN102 - Process & how to relocate home folders

Hi,

I am running a 2-bay RN102 in a JBOD config (no RAID).  I want to upgrade the disk which currently has the home drives on it.  I have all the data backed up but I am unsure of the process - 

1. Do I need to delete (Destroy) the current volume or will removing and replacing the disk make this happen automatically?

2. The volume I am upgrading currently has the home drives for my users.  Do I need to move the home drives to the other volume?  If so, how? I can follow a linux howto well enough to deal with the mechanics of moving the mount point, but I found a topic which suggested this broke readynas.d (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Move-home-to-another-volume/td-p/15... Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Regards,

Rob

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Disk upgrade ReadyNAS RN102 - Process & how to relocate home folders

Hi @robmash, did not have the need to do deal with this scenario so far but would go as follows:

0) Shutdown the nas and take out the concerned disk

1) Duplicate the old disk to the new larger one using an usb docking station (can be done stand-alone depending on the capabilities of the docking station)

2) Remove the old disk from the docking station and connect the docking station to a linux workstation.

3) Use a partition manager on the linux workstation to resize the new disk's data partion to its maximum size possible.

4) Put in the new disk to your nas into the same bay its predecessor was occupying.

5) Boot the nas.

The process might not be "best practice", but if you have the resources it is faily simple. Other community members might have different suggestions how to tackle this.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disk upgrade ReadyNAS RN102 - Process & how to relocate home folders

I'd back up the home shares (and of course you need to backup up the public shares anyway).

Though I don't use the home shares myself, I did discover that if you destroy the primary volume (which also has the apps installed) then the system will migrate the app storage to the remaining volume.  It might do that for the home shares also.

Personally I wouldn't clone the existing disk (though that might well work).  Instead I'd just restore the home shares if the system didn't migrate them.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements