× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do Snapshots affect performance?

wiland
Aspirant

Do Snapshots affect performance?

I have a ReadyNAS 516 operating under OS 6.10.2. I have Snapshots enabled on a daily basis just after midnight using Smart Management. Today I accidentally deleted a file that I needed but which was created today. So, the Snapshot created last night is of no value. I need to enable the Snapshots on an hourly basis to avoid this issue in the future.  However, I am curious as to what the performance impact might be to my system. The share is 1.2 TB in size. Can anyone tell me if it will significantly affect performance?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Do Snapshots affect performance?

Since a snapshot just clones a set of pointers to existing files, their creation or deletion uses little CPU or drive throughput.  Deleting an old one that then frees up space takes a bit more when the "btrfs-cleaner" kicks in to free the space.  But on a 516, that's likely pretty unnoticable, too.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Do Snapshots affect performance?

@wiland wrote:

I have a ReadyNAS 516 operating under OS 6.10.2. I have Snapshots enabled on a daily basis just after midnight using Smart Management. 

Custom snapshots might be better - you can set retention, and they aren't pruned as they get older. There is also an option to only make a snapshot if there's been a change in the share contents.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements