× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does ReadyDLNA in OS 6.1 support Transcoding?

yarix
Aspirant

Does ReadyDLNA in OS 6.1 support Transcoding?

No luck in streaming RMVB files.

Does anyone know if ReadyDLNA in OS 6.1 support transcoding?
Read the ReadyNAS OS 6 PDF (updated Apr 2013) but cannot find anything related to transcoding.

Thank you. 🙂
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: Does ReadyDLNA in OS 6.1 support Transcoding?

ReadyDLNA doesn't do transcoding. Plex does, but the RN102 doesn't have a powerful enough CPU to do it.
Message 2 of 11
yarix
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, I installed Plex as well and still fail to stream the RMVB file.

I check the transcoding options but no too many configs there. Not sure if I need to install plugin or something.
Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RN102 has an ARM CPU. As StephenB mentioned the CPU is not powerful enough to transcode.
Message 4 of 11
yarix
Aspirant

Thanks both Stephen / mdgm. 🙂

Might I ask where I could find the full list of supported formats for ReadyDLNA?
Don't think it's written in the PDF software manual.
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's more what format can your DLNA client play. If your DLNA client (e.g. TV) can't play a format natively you need to transcode. And if you need to transcode you need to use software such as Plex Media Server on a NAS that can handle that.

Have a read of http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/FAQ:_Plex_Media_Server_and_NAS

The link at the bottom takes you to a NAS list which indicates which NAS you need to transcode different quality video.
Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Actually to get playback to work, both the DLNA client and the DLNA server need to support the format. The server might not transcode, but it still needs to recognize and extract the elementary bitstreams from the media files. That is one of the liabilities of DLNA.

RMV8 is proprietary (realplayer) though it has been reverse engineered. So it is not surprising that support is weak. You will probably need to convert these files - or watch the media on a PC with VLC.

MP4 (H.264 video, aac audio), AVI (xvid video, mp3 audio) and MKV (h.264 video, ac3 audio) are the most portable formats. If you don't care about surround sound, MP4 is probably best.
Message 7 of 11
yarix
Aspirant

Thanks again for the very detailed explanation. 🙂

I would keep the PMS in PC as main streaming server, and let RN102 to do something else.
Message 8 of 11
yarix
Aspirant

My mistake. The PDF document actually lists out the supported formats of the ReadyDLNA (p186).

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS%20OS6%20SW%20UM_-02_03Apr2013.pdf

ReadyDLNA supports to following formats:

• Music. wav, wma, pcm, ogg, mp3, m4a, flac, aac
• Video. 3gp, mp4, wmv, xvid, vob, ts, tivo, mts, mpeg, mpg, mov, mkv, m4v, m4p, m2t, m2ts, flv, flc, fla, divx, avi, asf
• Photo. jpg, jpeg
• Playlist. m3u, pls
Message 9 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In a lot of cases (not all) this would be a larger collection of formats than the client supports. Though it does vary a fair bit from DLNA client to DLNA client as to what formats can be played.
Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Also, this is giving you a list a containers (e.g., file types) not codecs. So it is not very helpful in telling you if transcoding is needed or not.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements