× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does anyone have readynas ultra 2 for sale??

Clasgbg
Tutor

Does anyone have readynas ultra 2 for sale??

Hi!

I recently lost my readynas ultra 2 due to lightning...

I bought a new one (212) hoping I could just plug and play but... no.

To be able to access my old hdd I need a readynas with the same OP or a new one which can migrate the discs. Since I have already bought a new 212 the option to buy a new which can migrate is gone...

So according to the support I have two more options, get an old one, readynas ultra 2 or a readynas duo v.1, or the can try to help me to migrate the old hdd to my 212 for a small fee (170 euros...).

So, anyone want to sell their old ultra 2??

If not my only option is to fork up 170 euros and hope... (no garanties it would work so...).

A swede in need.

Clas Isaksson

Model: ReadyNASRNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Clasgbg wrote:

So according to the support I have two more options, get an old one, readynas ultra 2 or a readynas duo v.1, or the can try to help

A duo v1 wouldn't help, so that's not an option.  You can't migrate disks between 4.1.x and 4.2.x systems.  You'd need another ultra or pro.

One option you might still have is to exchange your RN212 with the seller for an RN422.  You can temporarily mount your ultra disks in the RN422 (because it uses an x86 processor), so you can offload the data.  If the array is healthy, that doesn't need support's help.  https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

There's a near-free option you can try too. If you are using XRAID / RAID-1, you should be able to access the files in a Windows PC using R-linux for Windows.  You just need a way to attach one of the disks to the PC. SATA of course will work, as will a USB adapter/Dock.  Again, you need to off-load the files.  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ 

Message 2 of 8
Clasgbg
Tutor

Hi! 

Thanks for tip and correcting the net gear support.😃

Might try that Linux solution... never used Linux though...

Can't refund the 212, I unpacked it before I knew it wouldn't work with my old hdd...

/Clas

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Clasgbg wrote:

Might try that Linux solution... never used Linux though...

R-linux for Windows is just a windows program that knows how to read ext-formatted disks.  So you don't need to know any linux to use it.

Message 4 of 8
Clasgbg
Tutor

Hi!

First of all, thanks for your advice! Think I might have been able to transfer all my files from my old hard drive but looks like I’m suffering a side effect... all files and folder get 4 additional files of some sort... a bit annoying. Have I made some error when I transferred or is it a side effect I have to live with??

Clas
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do the 4 additional files have any pattern to how they're named?

Message 6 of 8
Clasgbg
Tutor

Hi again!

Yes, the all start with the same name as the file or folder. The first two have the words system in their name and the final two have the word user...

I’m a novice at this so...

/Clas
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Clasgbg wrote:

Yes, the all start with the same name as the file or folder. The first two have the words system in their name and the final two have the word user...

Some Windows and Mac file attributes don't map directly to linux, and in those cases the NAS needs to create hidden files to store the attributes.  These might not be hidden on the disk though - they might just be hidden on the network share.

Can you try opening one of these files?  Perhaps set the file extension temporarily to .txt, and open it in wordpad.

I suspect they can be safely deleted (and probably should be).   There is a windows freeware tool that might help - searchmyfiles lets you set a max file size (in addition to wild cards), which might make it easier to ensure that you don't delete any real files that happen to include system or user in their names.  https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements