× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does running the Antivirus service slow down Time Machine backups?

RupertGiles
Apprentice

Does running the Antivirus service slow down Time Machine backups?

After the recent Mac OS update to Catalina 10.15.6, I began to experience major issues with Time Machine. Backups would take forever to run, and the "Cleaning Up" process even longer. I ended up completely deleting the backup, and starting a new one from scratch.

Does running the Antivirus service on the ReadyNAS cause other processes to slow down? I use my ReadyNAS primarily for storage of things I don't access very often, and for Time Machine. I'm beginning to wonder if running the Antivirus service is even necessary.

I'd like to hear from other folks about their experiences with antivirus on the Readynas, and performance.

Model: RN3130|READYNAS 3130 1U 4-BAY (DISKLESS)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Does running the Antivirus service slow down Time Machine backups?

Maybe try disabling Antivirus for a while, and see if that resolves your performance issues.

However, I would also download the log zip file from the NAS, and see if you have see any disk-related errors in system.log and kernel.log.

Message 2 of 3
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Re: Does running the Antivirus service slow down Time Machine backups?

Thanks for your feedback. I actually did examine the logs, and thankfully there were no errors. I'd actually replaced the drives about a year ago, for increased capacity.

Good suggestion on turning off Antivirus. Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements