× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Domain joined NAS home directories wrong permissions

PipingRockIT
Aspirant

Domain joined NAS home directories wrong permissions

We have a few of these ReadyNAS's, all domain joined for users. We recently started using the built in home folder function, but are finding some users are unable to access their folder. I found that the owner and group for the users home directory is set to a different account. I can fix it using a chown command, but I'd like to know why it is happening in the first place. I've tried leaving the domain and rejoining it, but same result. I'm also seeing home folders for long deleted users. Does the ReadyNAS not purge these folders when the user is no longer in the domain?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Domain joined NAS home directories wrong permissions

Hi @PipingRockIT

The NAS might have joined several Domains before and the permissions were not reset upon changing domain. The NAS is stll using the old permissions causing users not able to access their own folder.

The permissions need to be reset through backend/SSH. If you are comfortable doing that it might work. However, contacting NETGEAR Support  would be advised for you to ber assisted on this step.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 6
PipingRockIT
Aspirant

I have no issue doing that. It is out of warranty so would support even speak to me?

Message 3 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @PipingRockIT

NETGEAR Support is available 24/7 and should be always be ready to assist.

When did you purchased your NAS? Lifetime chat is offered for ReadyNAS products if they were purchased between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016.

You can go and login to my.netgear.com and create a case for Chat Support.

Regards

Message 4 of 6
PipingRockIT
Aspirant

Something seems to be wrong. I log into my netgear page and try to create a case but am presented with a blank screen.

Message 5 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried using a different browser? Chrome, Firefox?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements