× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Downgrading from OS6 to 4.x

MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Downgrading from OS6 to 4.x

well, can someone advise if I can go Backwards? I need the ability to do Three drive Mirroring like OS 4.x can do
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Downgrading from OS6 to 4.x

What do you mean by three drive mirroring? Can you elaborate.

Downgrade instructions are here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=75198
Message 2 of 11
MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

well, with Version 4.x you can actually go into the manual raid level and tell it to build an array with three drives in raid 1, which is perfect for our offsite backups 🙂

I prefer three drives in raid 1 over just two, as it gives an additional level of consistancy checking, so if something forms on the drive that's never swapped, you don't end up with the whole "array" having something odd.

so on this
This downgrade will only work for legacy systems (Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro), the new 312/314/316/516/716X models are not supported by the old firmware. If you do attempt to downgrade a new model to 4.2.x you will likely need to do a USB Boot Recovery followed by a factory default to get a working system again.

so just to confirm this actually works? I don't mind resetting to factory etc...
Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You swap drives regularly for your "backup"? That's a very bad idea. See http://www.readynas.com/?p=3153

If you have a legacy model you can downgrade. You cannot downgrade a current model e.g. 314 to 4.2.x
Message 4 of 11
MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

You swap drives regularly for your "backup"? That's a very bad idea

Sorry, I don't see how that link applies, maybe if I explain how we run the readynas boxes

1, we purchase 30x drives of around 2tb
2, we build a Three Drive Raid 1 array on the NAS
3, the backups run at night so nothing is running in the morning
4, the NAS is powered down, then one of the disks is removed. the removed disk is taken to one of our users homes each night (and we keep quite a few of the previous backups at the users home)
5, that disk is replaced with the next disk in the two week rotation + end of month
6, the NAS is then powered back up (at which point it begins an Automatic rebuild)

we have actually use these backups many times over for years, so we know it works
Message 5 of 11
MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

If you have a legacy model you can downgrade. You cannot downgrade a current model e.g. 314 to 4.2.x

Bugger, that's what I wanted to do
Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You will damage SATA connectors doing this. SATA connectors are only designed for a limited number of pulls.

Also handling hard disks bare there is the risk of electro-static discharge. You may damage a drive without even realising you've done it.

I would suggest backing up to USB disks rotated off-site or backing up NAS to NAS.
Message 7 of 11
MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

We've been doing it for years (like, Five years now) without issues, and will continue doing it, thankyou for your assistance in this matter.

if anyone knows how/when we can create a three disk Mirror I'm all ears, looks like I need to find a ReadyNAS alternative
Message 8 of 11
MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bump for three Drive Mirroring 🙂

is there somewhere to put in a request?
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

MR2 wrote:
Bump for three Drive Mirroring 🙂

is there somewhere to put in a request?
There'a a feature request subforum here: viewforum.php?f=18

You can also email from support.netgear.com, choosing the "I need to leave feedback..." option.

Perhaps try both?
Message 10 of 11
MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Both it is! Thankyou Stephen
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos