× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Downloaded log is empty (RN426)

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Downloaded log is empty (RN426)

Fortunately, that does not always happen. This morning I downloaded the logs three times and ended up with two files having zero length and finally one successful download with about 1.5MB containing everything as expected.

Did anybody observe something like this and does somebody have an explanation for that behaviour?

Thanks for feedback and kind regards

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Downloaded log is empty (RN426)

All fine for two weeks now. I blame it on the browser. Thanks for your input anyways, @StephenB .

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running, and what browser are you using?

One potential cause is a full OS partition - the NAS assembles and zips the logs prior to download, and if there isn't enough space then of course the download will fail in some way.  Not very likely in your case, since you are well aware of the limited space in the OS partition.

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply, @StephenB. You wrote "What firmware are you running, and what browser are you using?"

The Firmware is 6.9.4HF1 and my browser was Firefox 64.0.2 at the time of the downloads.

The volume log's section "=== df -h ===" says

"/dev/md0        4.0G  879M  2.8G  24% /",

which is the OS partition to my understanding and a usage of 24% should not be a problem at all.

Just let me know your conclusions, please.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

The volume log's section "=== df -h ===" says

"/dev/md0        4.0G  879M  2.8G  24% /",

which is the OS partition to my understanding and a usage of 24% should not be a problem at all.

The OS partition looks fine.  Do you have ssh enabled?

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote: "Do you have ssh enabled?"

Thanks for your reply. ssh service is not enabled on this box. I have that RN426 since october 2018 and do not want to loose the option of Netgear's technical support within the first two years.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

ssh service is not enabled on this box. 

Perhaps PM @JohnCM_S and see if he is willing to take a look remotely???

@Retired_Member wrote:

I have that RN426 since october 2018 and do not want to loose the option of Netgear's technical support within the first two years.

Simply enabling ssh and examining the system shouldn't create support issues.  Even using ssh to solve simple issues shouldn't be a problem unless something goes wrong.

https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides wrote:
Support may be denied if it is determined that actions taken through SSH have contributed to problems encountered on the ReadyNAS.

Note even if something did go wrong, a factory reset would restore your ability to get netgear support.

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote: "Perhaps PM @JohnCM_S and see if he is willing to take a look remotely???"

Thanks for the hint, Stephen, but to my judgement the incident is not serious enough to justify remote support. Let's not bother John with it.

However, I looked a little bit deeper into the browser's side and tend to put the blame on Firefox or any component of my local workstation.

Checking this morning I found two entries in the downloads list of Firefox, which were nothing else than the empty zip-files I reported in my first post. Both were nearly completed, but for what ever reason the files were not successfully closed in the end. Therefore showing up in Windows explorer with a length of 0 Byte.

I have successfully dowloaded the logs of my RN426 twice in the meantime and did not see the issue again. I'll keep an eye on this for the next days and will report, if anything turns weird.

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

All fine for two weeks now. I blame it on the browser. Thanks for your input anyways, @StephenB .

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements