× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drive Failure Cannot Access Data

mitchcarter
Aspirant

Drive Failure Cannot Access Data

Hi,

One of the drive lights on my ReadyNAs is blinking im guessing that means the drive has failed.

The display screen says "Recover data 98.61%"

I cant access the data or logon to the software.

If i just replace that drive will it finish recovering?

TIA

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Drive Failure Cannot Access Data

@mitchcarter wrote:

Will just pulling the plug hurt anything?

Holding the power button down for 5 seconds or so should also forcibly shut it down, so try that first.

If the unit is locked up (as it sounds like it is), you really have no choice but to do this.  If it was just resyncing the disk (which could have failed while that was being done), then there shouldn't be any data loss.  You can just remove that disk, and power up again.

Note that if another disk had a read error during the resync, then the resync would also fail. So once you've checked that the data is ok, then you should probably run a disk test from the volume settings menu.  Then download the log zip file after that completes.  Examine the SMART stats in disk_info.log, and look in system.log and kernel.log for disk and btrfs errors.  If everything looks healthy, then you can hot-insert a replacement disk.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Don't replace anything just yet.  I suggest installing RAIDar on a PC, and looking at the status there.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Do you have a backup of your data?

Message 2 of 10
mitchcarter
Aspirant

RAIDar doesnt find any storage on my network.

I do have a backup. So i am not worried about data loss. Other than the hassle of pulling it all together again.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

The blinking disk LED does mean the disk either has failed or is being resynced to the array.  The panel message suggests a resync - though normally I'd expect the NAS to be accessible during a resync (and that RAIDar would also find it).  

You could of course wait longer and see what happens.

Another option is to power down the NAS, remove the disk that is blinking, and then try to boot without it.  If that fails, it's probably most direct to do a factory default and restore the data from your backup.  Either way, I'd test the disk in a PC with vendor tools before adding it back (Lifeguard for WD disks, Seatools for Seagate). 

Message 4 of 10
mitchcarter
Aspirant

I dont think anything is happening. its been stuck on that percentage for 24hrs at least.

The power button isnt doing anything. I was worried that a hard reset might break something.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@mitchcarter wrote:

Holding the power button down for 5 seconds or so should also forcibly shut it down, so try that first.

If the unit is locked up (as it sounds like it is), you really have no choice but to do this.  If it was just resyncing the disk (which could have failed while that was being done), then there shouldn't be any data loss.  You can just remove that disk, and power up again.

Note that if another disk had a read error during the resync, then the resync would also fail. So once you've checked that the data is ok, then you should probably run a disk test from the volume settings menu.  Then download the log zip file after that completes.  Examine the SMART stats in disk_info.log, and look in system.log and kernel.log for disk and btrfs errors.  If everything looks healthy, then you can hot-insert a replacement disk.

Message 6 of 10
mitchcarter
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. I did a hard reset and it all turned back on no problems. I was scared this would ruin everything, but it didnt!

I didnt really know what i was looking for in the logs but this drive has apparently been having issues for a month or so and i didnt realise. It looks like one of my others might be on the way out as well.

(these were both pretty old drives and of the green variety)

I am just putting my shiny new replacement in now.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@mitchcarter wrote:

I am just putting my shiny new replacement in now.

Did you back up the data first?  If you have multiple drives that are failing, it is at risk of being lost.

Message 8 of 10
mitchcarter
Aspirant

I have a backup of everything important. No worries there. Once i get this new drive in a will retire the other old drive.

I put my new drive in and it took a while to be detected. And then i formatted it and now its not showning up in RAIDar anymore.

I then pulled out an old computer i had to see if i could detect it. Maybe the drive is just no good?

But the power supply on the old pc went out with a pop.

Im not having a good week!

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@mitchcarter wrote:

I put my new drive in and it took a while to be detected. And then i formatted it and now its not showning up in RAIDar anymore.

Does the front panel give you a normal status?

Can you ping the IP address?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements