× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drive Failure in multi disk size X-RAID

tommy747
Aspirant

Drive Failure in multi disk size X-RAID

I have a general question about drive failures in a multi size disk X-RAID array.   If I have 2-14TB, 2-8TB drives in my array, and one of the 8TB drives fail, can I replace it with another 8TB, or do I have replace it with the largest sized drive (14TB)?  

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Drive Failure in multi disk size X-RAID

@tommy247

Welcome to the Community!

If you are planning to upgrade your drives, you can replace it with a 14TB drive but using another 8TB drive is fine since it's also the drive cap that is already configured on the array. Lower drive caps are the ones that will not be possible.

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tommy247

Welcome to the Community!

If you are planning to upgrade your drives, you can replace it with a 14TB drive but using another 8TB drive is fine since it's also the drive cap that is already configured on the array. Lower drive caps are the ones that will not be possible.

HTH

Message 2 of 3
tommy747
Aspirant

Thanks Marc,  

Thank you so much for the quick response, that answered my question.  I have a spare new 8TB drive, I'll keep it on hand as a spare.   The  14TB's are new, I'll upgrade the other drives when the prices come down on the 14TB drives.   Unless of course one fails, fingers crossed.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements