× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Driver Order.

Beefcurry
Aspirant

Driver Order.

Hi, I have a readyNAS NV set in RAID-5, I have recently took all the bays out to clean the dust. But now I can't remember which order the drives go in. Does this matter? If it does, is there a way to find out?
Message 1 of 3
dbott67
Guide

Re: Driver Order.

Although it's recommended to keep them in order, as long as the volume was in a protected state (i.e. healthy) it shouldn't matter:

From FAQ: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... to_another

How do I migrate disks over from an existing ReadyNAS to another?

Never migrate disks if your volume is in degraded mode. Make sure the volume is redundant first. Then follow the steps below:
1. Power down both systems, and move the disks over to the target ReadyNAS. Although not required, it's always a good idea to keep the ordering the same.
2. Perform an update to the latest RAIDiator release. This will sync up the firmware on disk with what's on flash.
3. After reboot, go to the Status/Health tab, and recalibrate the fan.

Obviously, you're not migrating your disks, but it's the same idea --- no need for steps 2 and 3 in your case.
Message 2 of 3
Beefcurry
Aspirant

Re: Driver Order.

Thanks, that's good help. If I only have 3/4 discs does this still apply? The reason I took it out for cleaning was because one disc failed.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements