× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Duo Storage and or Upgrade My NAS

Kalel63
Aspirant

Duo Storage and or Upgrade My NAS

It has been a while since I have posted on here (so I hope I have posted this in the right spot) but I have now come to the point of I need more storage space on my ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2.
So looking thru the HDD compatibility listing it says that either WD RED WD20EFRX 2TB or WD RED WD40EFRX 4TB is compatible.
Will I need to do anything to be able to run either of these drives?
(my Duo is running Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043])

Or

Do I spend an extra $150ish on top of the drives and update my NAS to an RN10200 and how much better would one of these be over my V2?

Cheers for any advice
Message 1 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 2 of 17
Kalel63
Aspirant

Thanks you for the link and it seems I have a V1 even though it has a v2 sticker on the bottom.
So in short will the the WD RED WD20EFRX 2TB work no worries? although now I am seriously considering it's time for a complete upgrade.
Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

The WD20EFRX will work in your duo with no problem (I am running one in mine, the second disk is an older Seagate ST32000542AS).

An RN100 series is about 3x faster than your duo. An RN202 costs more more, but is limited by your network speed (e.g. ~100 MB/S on a gigabit network). The RN202 is just coming out (launched at CES).

How are you using your current duo? (backup, primary storage, streaming, ???)
Message 4 of 17
Kalel63
Aspirant

I use mine for 90% of the time streaming to my smart TV.
It is also used as a storage device but I would also like to use it as a back place too hence why I would like more storage room.

Can you auto sync windows folders to folder on the NAS on the RN100 series?
I am also looking maybe going to a 104 but not sure if the HDD I have in my Duo will work in that?

when are the RN200's out and is it worth me going to that?
Sorry for all the questions I've had about 5 years of smooth sailing with my Duo so I haven't kept up with the tech
Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

ReadyCloud will sync some folders, but there are still some limitations that need to be fixed. Personally I am not using those features.

If you are using the original disks in your duo, I suggest getting new ones. What are you using, and how old are they?

I'm not sure of the release date of the RN200 series. I have an RN202 beta unit - it is almost 2x faster than the RN100 for writes, and is also faster on reads. The RN100 CPU also limits the maximum volume size to 16 Tib. The RN200 doesn't have that limitation.

For a lot of users, the RN200 should be a good alternative to the RN300.

Of course the RN104 is a lot faster (and provides a lot more capacity) than your duo. So that is a reasonable option too.
Message 6 of 17
Kalel63
Aspirant

the disks I am using are the ones in my signature and would be ~4 years old.
I am still very undecided on what to do I thin because my Duo is still working well other than not enough space.
But I saying that a bit of new tech would be nice
Message 7 of 17
StephenB
Guru

If you''re just running out of space now, then your storage needs are growing pretty slowly.

If you purchased 2 WD20EFRX you'd double the space. If you are happy overall with the duo, perhaps start by doing that. You can always pick up a new NAS later on, and reuse the new disks.
Message 8 of 17
Kalel63
Aspirant

been at capacity for about 18 months two years but I have been selective of what I want to keep and what I'll risk not backing up.
It's now time to do something about it and get some freedom in what I'm doing I think
Message 9 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Kalel63 wrote:
been at capacity for about 18 months two years but I have been selective of what I want to keep and what I'll risk not backing up.
It's now time to do something about it and get some freedom in what I'm doing I think
Ok.

Well, you know the options.

-double your current capacity on the duo v1 for about $190
-get a new NAS and new disks.
RN102+2x3TB -> about $365
RN104+2x3TB-> about $450

Prices are Amazon US
Message 10 of 17
Kalel63
Aspirant

I have decided I'm going to upgrade to a 102 and get 2x4TB drives in it that way I'll have plenty for a long time
I'm just wondering what WD HDD you would recommend going for Red, Black?

I can get either Red EFRX or Black FAEX from my local PC shop.
Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

I'd get the Reds, The RN102 (like your duo) is limited by CPU, not the disks.
-The Reds run cool, and are fast enough that the limit is the RN102's processor.
-The Reds are much quieter than the FAEX (7db), which is a consideration if the NAS is in a place where you can hear it.
-WDC doesn't recommend the FAEX for a RAID environment (though it is on the Netgear HCL)
-The FAEX costs $80 more (current amazon pricing).

If you want to try a higher performance drive than the Reds, then I'd suggest the new 4 TB FFSX (Red Pro). I believe they will be added to the HCL soon.

Either way you will get about 70 MB/s read and 50 MB/s write speeds.
Message 12 of 17
Kalel63
Aspirant

Just want to say thank you for the help I got.
I purchased a 102 with 2 4TB drives.

I did get about 50-60 MB/s transfer rate initially but now it's drop to an average of 22-26 MB/s why I don't know.
But overall really happy with my new gadget.
Message 13 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you use bit-rot protection? Snapshots?
Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Or antivirus...
Message 15 of 17
Kalel63
Aspirant

I don't think I am using any of those (sorry for my ignorance of not even knowing what they are) and I use AVG
I have even noticed my USB transfer rate has dropped so I'm wondering if an windows update or something has changed.
Message 16 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements