× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Duo V2 Stupid thing i did now no drive is detected #24526070

barcode1
Aspirant

Duo V2 Stupid thing i did now no drive is detected #24526070

Hey all,

Need some urgent help, Please bare with me if I explain it not the best as English is not my first language.

I have a Netgear Readynas Duo V2 with slot 1 as the main hard drive always worked no problems accessed it via raidar firmware version was 4.4??? it was password protected by myself all good.

Today I decided to install a new blank second hard drive in slot 2.

Stupid thing I did was I removed slot 1 working one completely out from the Nas and just inserted the slot 2 new drive and created the new raid volume which happened to update my firmware to 5.3 something as well in the whole process. All good finished had new slot 2 now as new volume etc.

So I decided to take slot 2 new one out and wanted to use my original one in slot 1 as before, well was that a big mistake.

All blue lights are working ok slot 1 is solid blue but slot 2 is obviously blinking as no drive is in that slot.

The Error message im getting is readynas specified network cannot be longer available
also when I hit browse in the raidar I get a windows network error windows cant access xxxxxx.2.13xxx/media. check the spelling of the name otherwise there might be a problem with youe network etc

it would seem I have resynced everything in slot 2 now instead of my slot 1 main drive.

please help
Message 1 of 16
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: ReadyNas Duo V2 Stupid thing i did now no drive is detec

First, check if you have a Duo v1 or Duo v2 on this link: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/

Do you have a back up of all the data stored on the old disk1?
Message 2 of 16
Nhellie
Virtuoso

What I'd do is to insert the original drive back and perform an OS reinstall.
But first, check if you really have a v2 Duo.
Message 3 of 16
barcode1
Aspirant

the front say ReadyNas Duo V2
Message 4 of 16
RX
Luminary
Luminary

barcode wrote:
the front say ReadyNas Duo V2

Have you fully read the link I have provided you?
Message 5 of 16
barcode1
Aspirant

Re: Duo V2 Stupid thing i did now no drive is detected #2452

Yes i have read your post and its 100% Duo V2
Message 6 of 16
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Kindly read the previous post of Nhellie in this thread and kindly do it.
Message 7 of 16
Nhellie
Virtuoso

barcode,

remove the new disk, insert the original disk and perform OS reinstall (So that the FW on the flash and disk will match). Follow the instructions on boot menu codes on the link below:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... JjbQ%3D%3D
Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The normal boot should do that automatically if the format on the disk doesn't match. But it does no harm.
Message 9 of 16
Nhellie
Virtuoso

What I'm thinking is since the NAS updated its FW after installing a new disk, the old disk and the FW on the flash would not match.

My interpretation was:

1. He removed the old (original disk) with an older FW version.
2. Inserted a new disk, created a new volume and updated the FW.
3. Removed new disk, inserted the old disk back and it is not detected anymore.

So I'm thinking FW mismatch. 🙂
Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Nhellie wrote:
What I'm thinking is since the NAS updated its FW after installing a new disk, the old disk and the FW on the flash would not match.
That's true, but the normal boot usually handles that without the need for a manual OS reinstall. By default, if the firmware in the flash is not the same as the disk, the firmware on the disk is updated.

Though trying a manual OS reinstall from the boot menu should do no harm.
Message 11 of 16
barcode1
Aspirant

hi all thanks for your inputs I have tried reinstalling the OS as instructed.
It starts to say in the Raidar window updating slot 1 is solid blue light all ok, after the updating it just comes up with file system check 100% I don't see any firmware version this file system check 100% just stays like this wont change I have left it on like this for 24h straight and still wont change.
is there a way I can downgrade my firmware back to 4.1.3 or what ever I have before?
Message 12 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So the filesystem check has hung. There could be issues with the filesystem

Do you have a backup?
Message 13 of 16
barcode1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
So the filesystem check has hung. There could be issues with the filesystem

Do you have a backup?

no backup that's why i'm in a panic. Can I remove the disk and just plug it in a windows pc to read the drive and then grab all my data off it then I can start over. guessing the nas has transferred the disk it too its own language and the pc wont read it
Message 14 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you could contact support and purchase support for them to look into it.

Or perhaps try the boot menu option skipping the volume check (risky) and see if you do that you can get it to boot so you can copy your data off.
Message 15 of 16
barcode1
Aspirant

Just wanted to give everyone a little update on how I solved the problem in case future users loose or accidently muck up the readynas duo v2 in anyway.

As I had no backup I knew the files on the original drive were not destroyed, so I installed the not so famous (too me) Ubuntu OS as it reads all ext2 ext3 ext4 data. Recovered all my data using test drive with photorec. Once all was recovered I formatted the slot 1 drive along with slot 2 drive in one hit as a complete format as a new readynas system, then obviously installed all my data back.

All working now!

thanks all for your comments.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements