× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Duo v1 Radiator 4.1.14 Fan maxed out and wont recalibrat

mattuk
Aspirant

Duo v1 Radiator 4.1.14 Fan maxed out and wont recalibrate

I upgraded to Radiator 4.1.14. I then discovered that all my user accounts had been disabled and will not list in Frontview or allow me to re-create them because they already exist! The fan was running perfectly and quietly as it always has.

I did a factory reset and re-installed.
Since then the system fan is running at 5700rpm, the noise is excruciating, and the option to recalibrate the fan seems to be ignored after the ok confirmation message.

I've re-installed several times now using different disk drives as I ready somewhere that the fan controller uses the HD temp and wondered if that was an issue as I'd utilised a different and newer drive. I'm using Raid 0 JBOD if that makes any difference though it didn't previously.

I just installed the Beta Radiator 4.1.15-T3 and this made no difference.

Can anyone please help before my tinnitus gets any worse!

Thanks
Message 1 of 17
mattuk
Aspirant

Now back at 4.1.13 but fan still running at max and won't callibrate 😞
Hardware failure ?
Any ideas gratefully received.
Thanks
Message 2 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a backup of your data?
Message 3 of 17
mattuk
Aspirant

Yes I do, it's all backed up. I've done factory reset several times now! So nothing to lose on the Duo at the moment.
Message 4 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 5 of 17
mattuk
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Ok logs sent.
Message 6 of 17
mattuk
Aspirant

I seem to have solved this issue. I had gone back to the beta Radiator 4.1.15T3 whether this relevant to the fix I don't know.

I had a look at the log files and found that the fan_setting_min file showed a value of 253 and the fan_setting_last a value of 255. Clearly there is a disparity between this and the actual speed of 5735.

I wondered if there is some built in logic that says if the these values are too low then run flat out for safety.

I found the add-on EnableFanMinRPMOveride and installed it. I thought that at least this would give these very low values a nudge into normality.
The default value in the add-on is 1600 so I chose 1500 to force a change if the 1600 default was set anywhere else. I did a re-calibrate on the fan and thankfully it worked and normalised the fan down to around 1560rpm. I reset the minimum again back to 1600 and recalibrated. After a reboot it all still works fine!
Message 7 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It looks like the EEPROM on your system is messed up. This is rare on the Duo v1 but it can happen. Sent you a PM.
Message 8 of 17
peta
Aspirant

Hi!
I also got the same problem and if it's possible, I would like the information about how to handle it.
Regards,
Message 9 of 17
bclay
Aspirant

Having the same exact issue.....can you please PM me what the fix is?

Message 10 of 17
markiivi
Aspirant

I am having the same fan issues described above; I have backed up the two 2TB drives which were in a RAID X config.  I have removed those drives and replaced with a much solitary smaller drive in Bay 1; I have reinstalled Raidiator 4.1.14 for the second time and FACTORY reset twice too for good measure.  The fan is running at 5769 rpm and will not recalibrate although the confirmation window does pop up to say it will do the job over next few minutes.  May I please have the fix for this?

Many thanks

Message 11 of 17
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi peta, bclay & markiivi,

The Beta Firmware can be downloaded here.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@BrianL2 wrote:
 The Beta Firmware can be downloaded here.

There are no fan fixes over 4.1.14 though - just security patches.

Message 13 of 17
markiivi
Aspirant

Thanks for the link to the Beta software; comms with the unit is noticeably smoother and not so lagging.  But the fan is still screaming away at 5769 rpm!  Is there any way to calm down the fan - a 'fan fix'; the RND is not being used for anything at all so under no stress.

Cheers

Mark

Message 14 of 17
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello markiivi,

Can you try the Recalibrate button for the fan?

Regards,

Message 15 of 17
markiivi
Aspirant

Hi JennC

Yes I did try the recalibrate button a couple of times and it said it would recalibrate over the next few minutes, but nothing happened.

Right now it is Initializing because I have started a FACTORY restore to see if that will settle it down.  I will update when it finishes.

Fan does seem to be going a little slower now during the initialization...may be hope!

Many thanks

Mark

Message 16 of 17
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello markiivi,

In case you get the same problem with the fan, test the chassis by removing all the disks and see if the chassis is still noisy. If it does make the same noise then it may really need replacement. You may also test the disks by using diagnostic tools.

Regards,

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements