× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EDA500 Discontinued

givememynamebak
Luminary

EDA500 Discontinued

I've read the forum posts mentioning that the EDA500 is discontinued... over a year ago.  Why would Netgear continue to list it as a viable option under their latest and greatest Home ReadyNAS here?  https://www.netgear.com/business/products/storage/readynas/RN628X.aspx#

That hardly seems like ethical thing to do,... keep selling your top model as if the expansion option is still really an option.

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 10.58.07 PM.png

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: EDA500 Discontinued

@givememynamebak wrote:

I've read the forum posts mentioning that the EDA500 is discontinued... over a year ago.  Why would Netgear continue to list it as a viable option under their latest and greatest Home ReadyNAS here?  https://www.netgear.com/business/products/storage/readynas/RN628X.aspx#

That hardly seems like ethical thing to do,... keep selling your top model as if the expansion option is still really an option.

More likely an oversight (I believe the EDA500 was still shipping when the RN628x was launched).  But I agree they should remove it.

@JohnCM_S - you might want to follow up, and have references to the EDA500 removed from the web site.

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Those of us who have an EDA500 might need to know what replacement NASes support it.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Those of us who have an EDA500 might need to know what replacement NASes support it.

Yes, but I think just saying that it is compatible with the EDA500 is sufficient.  Providing specs on storage limits with expansion will mislead more people than it helps.

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

Yes, but I think just saying that it is compatible with the EDA500 is sufficient.  Providing specs on storage limits with expansion will mislead more people than it helps.

With the quickly growing SATA HDD capacities there is soon no more need for the EDA500 to reach the total capacities advertised.

Interesting development in the market is coming from the competition, QNAP started a series of external RAID enclosures on USB 3.0 (SUB 3.1 Gen 1) designated TR-002 and TR-004 with an USB-C port, where the external RAID controller and the SATA drives can be managed and monitored from the NAS itself, and allowing a single RAID config. At much lower cost, these are intended to replace the smaller (but pricey) UX-[5|8]00P - where each SATA port was addressed individually from the NAS host by USB Attached SCSI (UAS) with the RAID ops on the NAS host.

With ReadyNAS, we're missing the continuity of products, like no successor for the EDA.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

With ReadyNAS, we're missing the continuity of products, like no successor for the EDA.

Personally I didn't find the EDA to be compelling - the price seemed high, and the performance didn't meet expectations.  Adding on a second NAS seemed like a better option to me.  The TR004 looks more interesting - less expensive, and it sounds like it's higher performance.

It'd be good if Netgear would add USB-C/Thunderbolt on future ReadyNAS.  That could also be used for console output.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

Personally I didn't find the EDA to be compelling - the price seemed high, and the performance didn't meet expectations. 

Well, end users see a box that looks similar to a NAS, and they expect mid- to high-end NAS performance also from the expansion. 

@StephenB wrote:

Adding on a second NAS seemed like a better option to me.

Value priced NAS with 10 GbE plus a few 1 GbE interfaces plus some M.2 SATA-SSD slots are available below 400 USD already - tha'ts a big competition for expansion units.

@StephenB wrote:

The TR004 looks more interesting - less expensive, and it sounds like it's higher performance.

One has to realize that the EDA500 was connected by "just" a single eSATA (so max 6 Gb/s) where all the individual disk traffic and RAID operations had to be pushed over. QNAP TR are USB 3.0 (USB 3.0 Gen 1) connected, so peak 5 Gb/s for plain data transfer (a little bit more efficient, especially with RAID operations like resync, migration, scrubbing ongoing). So the price of the expansion must be "right" - matching the possible performance - otherwise only limited success (for all vendors). 

@StephenB wrote:

It'd be good if Netgear would add USB-C/Thunderbolt on future ReadyNAS.  That could also be used for console output.

The competiton is ahead, not only on hardware features.

Message 7 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JohnCM_S - you might want to follow up, and have references to the EDA500 removed from the web site.

I have already informed the appropriate team regarding this.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements