× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EDA500 availability?

Mr_HoneyDo
Aspirant

EDA500 availability?

I thought I'd ask this here.  I've looked and looked.  Many of the ReadyNAS devices still claim compatibility with the EDA500 expansion module, and I have a RN516 that also is compatible, but for the life of me I can't locate where to get one.  Is the EDA500 still available?  Trying to decide between enlarging the drive size and getting an expansion module.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Mr_HoneyDo wrote:

Is the EDA500 still available?  

No, it's not.

@Mr_HoneyDo wrote:

Trying to decide between enlarging the drive size and getting an expansion module.

Larger disks would be a better option (even if the EDA500 was still out there).  Performance is better (particularly during resync).  Also, you'd need to set up a new volume for the EDA500 (it's a very bad idea to have one volume spanning two chassis).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Mr_HoneyDo wrote:

Is the EDA500 still available?  

No, it's not.

@Mr_HoneyDo wrote:

Trying to decide between enlarging the drive size and getting an expansion module.

Larger disks would be a better option (even if the EDA500 was still out there).  Performance is better (particularly during resync).  Also, you'd need to set up a new volume for the EDA500 (it's a very bad idea to have one volume spanning two chassis).

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

The EDA500 was discontinued about 2 years ago.  There are some alternatives.  See ReadyNAS-516-Expansion-chassis-options.

While the EDA500 was severly overpriced, making a second NAS a lot closer in price, the alternatives are not.  There are some significant drawbacks caused by the fact that it uses an eSATA multiplier (basically, multiplexing one SATA channel over multiple drives).  But I found it a reasonable option for data that is (at least mostly) archival.   I wouldn't want to use one for data that changes often, and thus needs a lot of balances or (especially) scrubs, as they take an enormous amount of time and CPU power when performed on an EDA volume, even with a 516 as the base NAS.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements