× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Easiest Way to Copy Content OFF The NAS?

TheDmac
Aspirant

Easiest Way to Copy Content OFF The NAS?

I'm selling my NAS as I was using it for storage for my media server but I've decided to build a new media server and  have  the storage within the server itself so save desk space. I've plugged in a HDD docking station with a drive to copy 3TB of content off the NAS to the drive as apparently due to the NAS using a BTRFS file system I can't just chuck it into the media server and have it pick it up. So my method of getting content off the NAS for use in a Windows PC was to use another drive of the same capacity, copy everything off the NAS using a docking station for the drive, put the new drive into the media server, and then format the old drive from the NAS ready for use in the media server along with the 3TB drive of content that was originally on the NAS.

The only issue is that the NAS is saying it's going to take 82 hours for 3TB of content and it's already been going for about 2 hours which is crazy.

Can anybody suggest an easier way to accomplish this task? Is there any way at all I can put the NAS drive and the other 3TB drive inside a Windows PC and have it copy over using an application? 

Thanks in advance

Model: RN10221D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Easiest Way to Copy Content OFF The NAS?

Which firmware are you running?

How are you copying the files across? Dragging and dropping mounting the share over SMB from your media server? Using a backup job?

Message 2 of 5
TheDmac
Aspirant

And for now I'm just copying and pasting directly from the NAS onto an 3TB HDD plugged into it via a docking station which I formatted beforehand as NTFS so it can go into the server once it's done (in 3 days time or so LOL) Once copying is done, I'll put the 3TB with the content I copied over into my new media server, then format the old drive that was in the NAS as NTFS so it can be used in Windows as a fresh 3TB drive (as my old one is full anyway)

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@TheDmac wrote:
 And for now I'm just copying and pasting directly from the NAS onto an 3TB HDD plugged into it via a docking station which I formatted beforehand as NTFS so it can go into the server once it's done (in 3 days time or so LOL) 

If you are dragging/dropping from a PC or mac, then your content is shipped over the network (NAS->PC) and then shipped back again (PC->NAS).  It would be faster to set up a local backup job on the NAS.

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements