× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Easy fix fan/temp OS6 issues on x86 legacy #no support

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The temps mentioned above aren't a problem. The fan will spin up when it needs to.
Message 151 of 174
mrQQ
Apprentice

When you say 6.1.7, does it mean, that it has same lm-sensors and fancontrol packages preinstalled, or how does it control them?
Message 152 of 174
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The fans are controlled using readynasd, software written by our engineering team.
Message 153 of 174
tijgert
Guide

I noticed that on Ultra 6's there's an extra (unused) fan header that gives RPM indication when a fan is hooked up to it.
Is that fan then controlled or does the software *know* the Ultra 6 only came with 1 fan and thus ignores the other fan indication i.e. doesn't spool up or down with temps?
Message 154 of 174
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is hard coded as to where to look for temps and what fan(s) to control.
Message 155 of 174
pszilard
Aspirant

Good to have someone offer assistance.

However as I have no idea on how to follow these steps, or even how to get root login, I think it really sucks that the manufacturer i.e. Netgear, doesn't fix this either in firmware or otherwise, without the user requiring to hack into root access and then invalidate warranty/support just to fix something that should not be a problem!

This is why I will never buy another ReadyNAS! Crap support! Good by Netgear, hello Synology.
Message 156 of 174
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's quite a while since the previous post in the thread and things do change.

The fan speeds are set correctly on current OS6 firmware for all legacy x86 NAS. No need to do any hacks.

However do note that our support team supports running 4.2.x firmware on our legacy x86 products. If you do run OS6 on your legacy x86 NAS you can ask questions on the forums.

Synology also does not support upgrades to their latest OS series for legacy hardware that their users have pointed out is perfectly capable of running it.
Message 157 of 174
viperhansa
Virtuoso

@mdgm-ntgr

and all:

I have my fan running at 888-900 and cpu temp 37C/99F & system 68C/154F...

Is there a way to increase the rpms so i get a bit of better cooling?

Or should i not be concerned about the temp levels? System has gone up to 72 and cpu have also been climbing.

In frontview only 1 fan is showing. Is that ok?

regards

Hans

Message 158 of 174
petermac
Apprentice

The latest FW 6.4 seems to have broken the fan speeds on the old x86 hardware like the Pro series.
Message 159 of 174
walshlink
Luminary

Installed an Intel Xeon X3230 in my ReadyNas Pro 6 ( RNDP6000-200 ) over the weekend with OS 6.4.0 installed. CPU temp runs around 48C. Fans and performance graphs seem to work just fine.

Message 160 of 174
ATCIS
Tutor

@walshlink wrote:

Installed an Intel Xeon X3230 in my ReadyNas Pro 6 ( RNDP6000-200 ) over the weekend with OS 6.4.0 installed. CPU temp runs around 48C. Fans and performance graphs seem to work just fine.

Good for you!  It seems that some of us who were running "fancontrol" from the early days of OS 6 are not so lucky.  I have two Pro 6's.  One that has been "Factory Default'ed" which works perfectly in every way, and one that has been running OS 6 from one of the very first versions that was capable of running on legacy hardware.  That one is having this problem:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Fan-CPU-in-enclosure-Internal-speed-is-below-th...  ever since I upgraded to version 6.4

Me hopes this gets resolved in the next version.  If not, it looks like I may have to start looking for a place to temporarily store 9 or 10 TB's of data, format, restore, rince, repeat. . .  Smiley Frustrated 

Message 161 of 174
walshlink
Luminary

Message 162 of 174
pelo88
Aspirant

On 6.4.1 with a Pro6 that was factory defaulted a few days ago and today the cpu fan shows as dead tho the system temp is fine (obviously the cpu fan is running). What do I do?
Message 163 of 174
petermac
Apprentice

Install the Fancontrol, if you have already installed that rerun the powerconfig program
Message 164 of 174
pelo88
Aspirant

So the warning seemed to be a flash in the pan. I've done nothing, not even a reboot, and the fan seems to be fine now.. Reporting running and in the green. So maybe it really did stop for a second? Should I still install fancontrol? I did turn off email alerts for the fan but can still see logs and such..
Message 165 of 174
petermac
Apprentice

Only install the fancontrol if you need to.
Message 166 of 174
WingDog
Guide

@petermac wrote:
Only install the fancontrol if you need to.

Hello.

can you provide additional config steps for fancontrol at 6.4.2? I'm new at linux.

I've got system fan 2220 RPM after one month powered-off device and now can't figure out how to fix this annoying noise!

tried update 6.4.1->6.4.2 but no luck.

thanks!

Message 167 of 174
petermac
Apprentice

What are you looking for? Do you know how to SSH into your NAS Learn how to do that first Have you installed fancontrol? Go here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Easy-fix-fan-temp-OS6-issues-on-x86-legacy-no-s... with root access, execute the following commands: issue each command and wait for it to finish apt-get update && apt-get upgrade apt-get install lm-sensors fancontrol echo "#fancontrol" > /etc/fancontrol then do /etc/init.d/fancontrol stop once it is stopped use pwmconfig to configur the fancontrol system this will setup things with a proper fan speed for the case fan. Have you tried to configure it? You can use vi to directly edit the fancontrol config file to make things work on your system (instructions for using VI are easily googled, I had to it was been many years since I used it)
Message 168 of 174
panosnl
Aspirant

I installed OS 6.5.0 which now has its own fancontrol in the NAS GUI. This sounded nice but the "quiet"setting is still too loud, much louder than when I was using fancontrol.

Now the fancontrol does not work anymre.

Any fixes to control the PWM settings of the new fancontrol?

Message 169 of 174
markwoll
Guide

I just did the 6.5.0 and the fan control is interesting at best.

It is reporting 10 fans. Fans 4-10 show zero rpm.

It is also showing  temp1-temp6 with temp2,3,4 with -128C temps. Cool! to say the least.

The temps are ok, it just appears that sensors for non existant devices are active.

How do I tell the system to disregard the missing sensors?

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 170 of 174
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

markwoll, which legacy model is this on?

Message 171 of 174
markwoll
Guide

It is a 3100.

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 172 of 174
Anton_
Tutor

Re: Easy fix fan/temp issues on OS6 legacy #no support

Need some help!
Running ReadyNAS 4 Ultra with OS6.
In the performance tab, the fan profiles silent, balanced and cool are ignored when i switch between them.

This worked with OS4 though.

I replaced the loud and noisy fan with a Noctua NF-A9 FLX.

The GUI reports correct RPM and temperatures for CPU and System.
But there are just no control of the fan it seems.

Included liblmsensors are using ULTRA4.conf as the configuration file.
system.conf -> /etc/frontview/sensors/ULTRA4.conf
Message 173 of 174
Anton_
Tutor

Re: Easy fix fan/temp issues on OS6 legacy #no support

Any updates to this? Any solutions?

Message 174 of 174
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements