× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Easy fix fan/temp OS6 issues on x86 legacy #no support

ghostofdre
Aspirant

yehh thanks shibby seems to be some issue with Anti-Virus on legacy boxes with OS6.

I did the upgrade a couple days ago and everything went well, except I forgot to do a factory reset so I freaked out a little when my NAS was sitting there saying "Booting..." for ages.

The only thing I've noticed is the CPU temp isn't correct. IT's sitting at 13c now which is less than the ambient room temp so guessing the sensor readout needs modding. I'm just assuming it starts around 30c when it reads 0c (actually read -1c when it booted up) and I'll count up from there.
Message 126 of 174
Royan
Aspirant

Hi.

I have just updated my Pro2 from 6.0.6 to 6.1.7.
I love that fancontrol works in this release, but it runs the fans too slow for me.
Empty nas, rebuilding volume after a factory reset, and the CPU hit's 80C (177F), and the disks are about 45C(113F).
That's a bit much for me (I know the CPU is good for it, but that doesn't mean I like it 🙂 )

I have my own fancontrol script that uses lm-sensors and set's the /sys/devices/platform/it87.2576/pwm1 file every minute through crontab.
Will it be a problem if I set it up to run my script again?
Will my script and the built-in fancontrol compete, making the fan jump like a yo-yo? Is that a problem?
Is there perhaps any way to make the built in fancontrol a bit more agressive?

brgds
Royan

Edit: Pro2
Edit2: lm-sensors
Message 127 of 174
evelez
Aspirant

Hi all,

This is my first post after several years of browsing/lurking in this forum, searching for advice and ideas. I want to start with a big THANK YOU!!! to everyone who contributes and makes this community so valuable for ReadyNAS users. I owe it to you and your advice that my boxes are running smoothly (CPU + RAM upgrades) and silently (Noctua fan upgrades) since 2007, and my data is fully secure and available (I learnt here that "a RAID is not a backup" before it was too late...).

Now, to the reason for my post today…

I just updated my ReadyNAS Pro 6 from 6.1.4 to OS6.1.7, and I'm having a few annoying side effects:

• Fan speed alert every 15 minutes: "Fan 'Fan' in enclosure 'Internal' speed is below threshold. (-2 rpm)", as reported by renedis and others several posts back in this thread.

• Fan and temperature graphs at the top of the Performance tab in Frontview have been reduced from 2 fans + 3 temps in every OS6 version (up to 6.1.4, at least) to 1 fan + 2 temps now. The only positive is that one of them is working now: 'CPU' shows the actual temperature of one of the CPU cores (temp1_input). The other temperature graph and the fan graph are incorrect (-2 ºC and -2 rpm, respectively). Still, this is an improvement over the 5 frozen graphs prior to the update.

Some additional comments:

• I did not disable the fancontrol and lm-sensors mods prior to updating to 6.1.7 since I read mixed feedback on the fan speeds for legacy boxes, and they were working flawlessly for me. They are still enabled, fans continue adjusting smoothly to internal temperature and sensors continues to provide accurate information, so I am reluctant to disable them unless needed. Sensors output is the following: (non-functional fan sensors -#3, #4 & #5- and temp sensor -#3- are ignored by the modded conf file, so they are not shown)

root@______-NAS:~# sensors
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0: +51.0 C (high = +84.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
    Core 1: +48.0 C (high = +84.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
    Core 2: +44.0 C (high = +84.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
    Core 3: +48.0 C (high = +84.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

w83627dhg-isa-0a10
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Vcore: +1.14 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V)
    V_in1: +1.76 V (min = +1.58 V, max = +1.93 V)
    AVCC: +3.22 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
    +3.3V: +3.22 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
    V_in4: +1.25 V (min = +1.13 V, max = +1.38 V)
    V_in5: +1.50 V (min = +1.35 V, max = +1.65 V)
    V_in6: +1.04 V (min = +0.90 V, max = +1.10 V)
    3VSB: +3.22 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
    Vbat: +3.18 V (min = +2.70 V, max = +3.63 V)
    System Fan: 1268 RPM (min = 1004 RPM, div = 😎
    CPU Fan: 1704 RPM (min = 1004 RPM, div = 😎
    Sys temp: +64.0 C (high = +70.0 C, hyst = +125.0 C) sensor = thermistor
    CPU temp: +38.5 C (high = +80.0 C, hyst = +123.0 C) sensor = CPU diode
    cpu0_vid: +0.000 V

root@______-NAS:~#

• Temperature graphing in Frontview (bottom of Performance tab), which was working before thanks to the UpdateTemp script, is working again after recovering the /etc/crontab mods, that were reset after the update.

With the default settings in 6.1.7, Frontview was showing only one line in that graph: 'CPU Temperature', showing the same CPU core #1 value as in the thermometer at the top of that tab (50ºC); the other line, 'System Temperature', was flat at 0. These values were aligned with the indicators at the top of the Performance tab.

My questions are:
[list=a:2cycfgzc]
  • Any suggestions on how to get rid of the fan alert? It would be nice to begin by knowing which fan is causing the alert. This Pro 6 (v2) has 3 non-functional fan sensors, but their value is 0, not -2

• Has anyone managed to get the fan & temperature graphs working on a Pro 6 running 6.1.7? Any clues about why there are fewer of them than in previous versions? Have people with other Ultra/Pro units experienced this?

• Any ideas about where Frontview stores its config files and which format they use? Has anyone tried to modify them?

• Thanks in advance!
    Message 128 of 174
    michaelvec
    Tutor

Hi Evelez,

I have a Pro6 v2 as well. Bios is the latest version (Flame 2.0). Installed a clean 6.1.6 and then "upgraded" to 6.1.7 using the OS6 firmware upgrade.
    The fan alert comes up as yours when rpm go below 700 or something. Had to disable the alert in the settings to avoid getting flooded with email alerts. CPU shows 38C which is correct as well as the SYS with 58C. Only one fan shows but the unit has alt least one more (and the power supply fan).
    Looks like we have similar issues only difference is your lmsensor "mod". You may want to do a clean OS 6.1.7 install to get the SYS temp to work but that might be overkill since it wont fix the fan alert - at least it didnt mine.
    Message 129 of 174
    pardieu
    Aspirant

I have a pro6 v2. I upgraded for the first time from v4.2.26 to v6.1.8. No hack.

Here is what I have regarding temperature and fan:
    CPU temp. graph at 39 deg. constant
    System temp graph between 53 and 62 deg.
    Fan diagram regularly going from 150 rpm to 1600 rpm which seems to be in line with system temperature fluctuations

My only concerns (which seems to be observed by others as well)
    * I have only one graph for the Fan, while I assume there is also a CPU fan
    * I have regular alerts regarding Fan speed: "Fan 'Fan' in enclosure 'internal' is below threshold (480 rpm)". The value varies here.

It seems the fan speed slows down too brutally (I observed it dropping from 800 to 480 rpm and then to 150 rpm when system temperature allows it). So it is maybe a problem with fan speed regulation

My question: should I be worried about the alert and do something (some kind of hack) or should I just ignore the alert?
    Message 130 of 174
    grimloch
    Aspirant

I've the same slow fan problem on two ReadyNAS Pros and don't know what to do about it either. I disabled the fan alerts for now because they became too annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Message 131 of 174
    pardieu
    Aspirant

After some time after the first reboot, the system temperature now stabilizes at 62 deg. and the fan at about 800 rpm. CPU temperature being still at 39 deg. Maybe the reboot did help
    Message 132 of 174
    Bigbearf
    Aspirant

Anyone concerned or having issues with the lower fan speeds? My temps on 4.2.26 are SYS 40c and CPU 29c. Any thoughts on long term effects?
    Thanks
    Bigbearf
    Message 133 of 174
    tony359
    Apprentice

On my Pro 6 I have CPU 19.5 and SYS 51°C with 17.5°C ambient. Anybody knows where the "SYS" sensor is?
    Message 134 of 174
    Sandshark
    Sensei

I also just updated a Pro6 for the first time from 4.2.x to 6.1.8 and have the fan problem. Note that this is not a false report, my fan is really going to zero RPM! There must be something wrong in the database that lets it go that low. The system temperature does start to rise, as expected without the fan running, and then the fan kicks back on. It appears that there is hysteresis built in to the speed control, which is good to prevent "motorboating". but maybe that's also a contributor to the problem. It looks very much like the fan is not capable of running at the slowest speed in the database, and so stops. But it isn't immediately cranked back up until it overcomes the programmed hysteresis. Or maybe it's a genuine physical hysteresis - the speed to which it is set after it stops isn't high enough to get it started, but is enough to keep it moving once started.
    Message 135 of 174
    akrovel
    Aspirant

I've also just updated a Pro 6 for the first time from 4.2.26 to 6.1.8. I'm also getting the warning
    Fan 'Fan' in enclosure 'Internal' speed is below threshold. (482 rpm)

The SYS, Disk and CPU temperature goes up and the fan speeds up, but the values are higher than on 4.2.26.

Do anyone have a suggestion on how to set a minimum speed on the fan? Is there a config file for the builtin fancontrol on 6.1.8?
    Message 136 of 174
    Bigbearf
    Aspirant

@ Skywalker
    I would love to update my Pro 6 to OS 6.1.8 but have only one concern. Has the fan issue been resolved and will it impact the longevity of the Pro 6 or is it simply a matter of disabling the email alert? Any concerns or new files to download and use? The forum thread has been mostly inactive. Will 6.1.9 or future versions address this issue such as a calibration button like on 4.2.26
    Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.
    Bigbearf
    Message 137 of 174
    Skywalker
    NETGEAR Expert

6.1.9-RC8 may help with this. It will keep a memory of the last setting where the fan dropped below the minimum, and avoid going that low again.
    Message 138 of 174
    Dave_Ams
    Tutor

I installed 6.1.9-RC-8 testerday afternoon around 15:00 and since then no longer have fan errors. My ReadyNAS Pro does still seem to run quite warm but that can also be due to the high temprature
    Message 139 of 174
    akrovel
    Aspirant

I got bad news. I installed the OS6.1.9 RC8 yesterday, it seemed to be working fine and I stopped getting the fan warnings and the fan ran at ~850 RPM.

But today I got a FAN warning (0 RPM) and temperature was at 65 C. The fan started again, but I did a reboot to get it to run at 2000 RPM to cool the system down. It slowly goes down to ~900 RPM.

@Skywalker : Is there a settings-file I can modify to get this to run at ~1300 RPM as it did in version 4.2.26?

My stats used to be HDD 35-40C, SYS 40-45C, CPU 25-30C in 4.2.26 (SYSFAN at ~1350 RPM, CPU at ~2100 RPM)
    Now I'm at HDD 41C, SYS 60C, CPU 45C (only showing (SYS)FAN, FAN ~900 RPM)
    Message 140 of 174
    mdgm-ntgr
    NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still get the fan warnings now that it goes down to 900 rpm? It may be that a reboot is needed after the firmware update for the new minimum fan speed of 900 rpm to take effect.
    Message 141 of 174
    akrovel
    Aspirant

Before update to RC8 (yesterday):
    I used to receive these alerts every 5-15 minutes: Fan 'Fan' in enclosure 'Internal' speed is below threshold. (479 rpm).

When I received this warning I could see that the fan was running very slow and sometimes stopped. Then the temperature would rise above 60C and the fan would start to run at 1250-1500 RPM. The temp would go down below 55C and the fan would slow down and I would get a new warning. (Slow fan -> temp above 60C -> Fast fan -> temp below 55C -> slow fan)

Then I updated to RC8 yesterday
    Now I don't get the warning (except the one earlier today when it was 0 RPM) but the temperature is around 60C (going up to 65C). The fan has a almost constant RPM of about 900.

Is there some configuration file or fan calibration I could do? Or do I have to revert back to version 4.2.26?
    Message 142 of 174
    Dave_Ams
    Tutor

Now that the ambient temprature has dropped to 20C, the CPU temperature varies between 45-47C, The system temprature varies between 58-64C. No fan warnings in the last 48 hours or so. The fan is currently running at around 880rpm.

A fixed higher speed would be a nice start, noise is no problem in my case. Some way to calibrate the fan to achieve a lower average would be ideal.
    Message 143 of 174
    Ney
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

glem wrote:
    OS 6.x on it8721 chip use fan1 sensor to drive enclosure fan and temp2 sensor to monitor enclosure temperature (this configuration works fine on Ultra2 model, for example).

Unfortunately, ultra6 model use fan3 and temp1 sensors.
    To activate reports and history on frontview on ultra6 model running OS 6.x, you must add this sensors.d config file to compute the correct values:

in /etc/sensors.d add this file rndu6000.conf
    chip "it8721-isa-0a10"

compute fan1 0+fan3_input,0-fan3_input
    compute temp2 0+temp1_input,0-temp1_input

and restart your ultra6 NAS

Hi, I recently updated my ultra 6 to OS6. Everything works a charm except the fan-sensor. The fan works fine and the system runs nice and cool, so it's not really an issue except the dashboard nagging me about it all the time.

I put in the the new config values as suggested here, but to no avail.

I run 6.1.8, and the fan is not the stock fan, but a replacement Noctua (as recommended in here), and it worked fine in Radiator 4.

It should also be noted that the system temperature does get reported correctly from stock!

Any ideas on a solution? Or just be happy things run and let it lie?
    Message 144 of 174
    Bigbearf
    Aspirant

@Skywalker et al
    Anyone using RC10 on Pro 6? If so how is it going regarding fan temp and RPMs?
    Bigbearf
    Message 145 of 174
    Dave_Ams
    Tutor

Using RC10 now, seems the same to RC8 to me. Works well 🙂
    Message 146 of 174
    mdgm-ntgr
    NETGEAR Employee Retired

RC9 (and hence RC10) has a change where if the CPU temp goes up the fan will react quickly (e.g. when you are pushing a 516 hard using Plex Media Server). If you had fan control issues due to this then RC10 should make a difference. If you had fan control issues for other reasons then it should be no different to RC8.
    Message 147 of 174
    ifixidevices
    Luminary

I'm still having issues running RC11 on my Pro 6... isn't there anyone out there who can make an APP that we can install and set to run the fans at any speed we desire? I don't care how loud the fans are but I'd love for my hard drives and my whole unit to last longer at cooler temps than see the fan always running at 870 RPM when the CPU is at 59C and the system temp is at 72C... my top 3 drives are all in the 45-47C range and if the fan goes up to just 1200RPM they all stay below 40C.

I'd gladly be willing to pay for an app because I don't like the heat...

I'm running a pro 6 with a 2.4ghz q6600 processor and 8GB's of memory with 6 4TB hard drives installed...

The box does a lot of time machine backups and has the headless crashplan version installed on it so it's backing up 7.2TB's of data to crashplan. Once I get enough cash I plan on buying another pro 6 or a 316 and shoving 6 6TB drives in it and slowly cycling out the 4TB drives for 6TB drives on the pro and then using readynas replicate and shoving the other readynas box in a relative's home that's a few hours away (for redundancy purposes!)

Thanks
    Message 148 of 174
    tijgert
    Guide

So unnerving to read all these problems still...
    I'm below a SSH noob so any script putting anywhere is already more than I can understand.
    These fan problems would be beyond my control and I foresee a short life for my Ultra 6 this way... so unfortunate, was looking forward to OS6.
    Message 149 of 174
    Bigbearf
    Aspirant

@ Skywalker and mdgm
    I Agree. I have a Pro6 running version 4.2.26 operating system and a 516 running 6.1.8. Would love to be able to upgrade the Pro6 to OS 6. Would like the fan issue to be resolved first so I could use replicate between the two units. Replicate does not do well between OS 6 ans OS 4. A calibration button like in 4.2.26 for OS 6 would be great. Love to know if and when.
    Thanks
    Bigbearf
    Message 150 of 174
    Top Contributors
    Discussion stats
    Announcements