× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Empty /media share while /c/media is filled #16777983

Seansvr
Aspirant

Empty /media share while /c/media is filled #16777983

I have been the proud owner of a Ultra 6 for about three weeks now. After I got it I spend a couple of days configuring, installing and transferring all the files. I installed a some add-ons (Sabnzbd, Transmission & ReadyDLNA) and they all ran without error.

I added all the previously transfered music files to my iTunes library, after it finished building the library it worked like a charm, no lag or whatsoever. But then I wanted to add the squeezecenter add-on, I read the instructions which advised me to first install "Clean_SqueezeCenter_DB_1.0-x86", did that, installed squeezecenter and then things went wrong!

I can't see any of the files I previously transferred to the /media/ folder in Windows. When I log in as admin I can see all the files and folders in the /c/media/ folder but nothing in the /media/ folder. Also iTunes doesn't see the files and is unable to play anything stored on the NAS. Squeezecenter, ReadyDLNA and all the other add-ons are still working fine. Via http access I can see all the files and folders in /media/. I checked via SSH and I can also see all the files in the /media/ folder, all the symbolic links are there.

I'm completely lost as to how to fix this, so I hope there is a netgear wizard here that can help me!
Message 1 of 44
Pidsly
Aspirant

Seansvr wrote:
I have been the proud owner of a Ultra 6 for about three weeks now. After I got it I spend a couple of days configuring, installing and transferring all the files. I installed a some add-ons (Sabnzbd, Transmission & ReadyDLNA) and they all ran without error.

I added all the previously transfered music files to my iTunes library, after it finished building the library it worked like a charm, no lag or whatsoever. But then I wanted to add the squeezecenter add-on, I read the instructions which advised me to first install "Clean_SqueezeCenter_DB_1.0-x86", did that, installed squeezecenter and then things went wrong!

I can't see any of the files I previously transferred to the /media/ folder in Windows. When I log in as admin I can see all the files and folders in the /c/media/ folder but nothing in the /media/ folder. Also iTunes doesn't see the files and is unable to play anything stored on the NAS. Squeezecenter, ReadyDLNA and all the other add-ons are still working fine. Via http access I can see all the files and folders in /media/. I checked via SSH and I can also see all the files in the /media/ folder, all the symbolic links are there.

I'm completely lost as to how to fix this, so I hope there is a netgear wizard here that can help me!

Hi, have you managed to fix this. I have the same issue. However, I do not know to log on as admin and do not know how to ssh.

my data is still there as you say, squeezecentre is still playing nicely, but i cant see any files.

This all happened after i upgraded the firmware following transmission install.

I hope someone can help.
Message 2 of 44
Seansvr
Aspirant

Unfortunately not. I'll post here when I have the solution.
Message 3 of 44
Guilhem
Aspirant

Dears,

I installed the add-on transmission yesterday and the same issue happened to me: the folder c/media was normally full while the share media became empty with just a folder "transmission" in it.
I copied the data to a new created share because I was afraid to loose everything. Then deleted the media share.... I then uninstalled the add-on.

Even with re-creating (after deleting) the share media and re-copying everything inside it still does not help. The share media is empty, while on c/media I still see the files.

I fear that this add-on corrupted the file system. I believe a warning should be sent to all forum users not to install this add-on.

I am afraid that now the only way will be to reset everything to factory default. That means loosing all the data, it will take some time to archive everything on external disks before to do that...
I have this NAS for 3 weeks and I must say I am very disappointed: it is now as usefull as a brick. 😞

Lets hope there will be a solution in the coming week.

Guilhem
Message 4 of 44
Seansvr
Aspirant

Guilhem, I think you're right.
I guess there is no other option than a factory reset and start all over again.
Message 5 of 44
sphardy1
Apprentice

Seansvr wrote:

I guess there is no other option than a factory reset and start all over again.

That would be extreme as your data is in tact

Why your media is not visible in the media share is known & understood - it is due to a incorrect CIFS server configuration, not any deletion of corruption of your data. How that configuration has been incorrectly modified is what Netgear need to fix in their next firmware.

This is a firmware fault introduced in 4.2.19 and not caused directly by any addons - however addons from super-poussin such as transmission tend to pointed to due to reference to "webroot", a share used by many of his addons, but this is a symptom not the cause. Note that the problem has been seen even when users have no addons installed other than those provided by Netgear as part of an installation using 4.2.19.

As frustrating as it might be I would strongly recommend you wait for an (overdue?) update from Netgear
Message 6 of 44
Pidsly
Aspirant

I too have the same problem. I have installated 4.2.20 (beta)

It seems to have automatically listed the shares in the friontview screen to match those on the folders listing.

I still cant access the media share though.
Message 7 of 44
Seansvr
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:

Why your media is not visible in the media share is known & understood - it is due to a incorrect CIFS server configuration, not any deletion of corruption of your data. How that configuration has been incorrectly modified is what Netgear need to fix in their next firmware.

As frustrating as it might be I would strongly recommend you wait for an (overdue?) update from Netgear

Thanks sphardy, this is very helpful! I'll wait for the next firmware release.

I still wonder why Netgear support has not told me any of this, I've been struggling with this issue for about 4 weeks!
Message 8 of 44
Guilhem
Aspirant

Thanks a lot Sphardy, that is interesting news.
However for a tool specifically designed to store and protect data, it is a bit "unprofessional" from Netgear to release upgrade with such fault inside... and not warn users by mail. We are asked to register when opening the box, I really wonder why!

Just one question: on c/media I have my files. On the share media that was empty, I have now copied some new stuff since I have this problem. Of course it is different from what is in c/media. Where is it stored? What will happen to this content when the bug will be fixed? Will it merge automatically with the c/media?

Anyone from Netgear on this forum to adress our issue?

Thank you
Message 9 of 44
Guilhem
Aspirant

I opened as well ticket on online support.
First demand is I think quite standard but worth doing: an OS Reinstall reboot. The operation worked correctly but without any effect... except that I could not log anymore as admin... till I understood that the admin password had been reset to default. This could be mentionned on instructions sent by mail.
Then was demand to upgrade to last version but I have already the version 4.2.19, so nothing more to upgrade.
Anyhow, still no solution and waiting for answer from support.
Message 10 of 44
Seansvr
Aspirant

Same here, OS Reinstall didn't help, FW also was up-to-date. Still waiting for a solution or at least an official statement from Netgear.

Guilhem, be patient. Netgear support is not the fastest to say the least, my case has been open since the 26th of September.
Message 11 of 44
lightbulb
Aspirant

All,

Just came across this after i posted to here:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45059&p=327445&hilit=media+share#p327445

same problem i presume, I also seemed to get out of my fix in a simplistic manner, no O/S reinstalls etc.
with luck perhaps how i resolved for my uTorrent issue will resolve your transmission issue.
Message 12 of 44
Pidsly
Aspirant

Gentlemen,

This actually worked.

Question for S-P probably, but anyone else please add your 2c.
PRO6 with 4.2.19.
No previous uT install.
Installed 2.2.02 right off the bat, but would not start (libc6 issue)
uninstalled and then Uploaded 2.0.0 and all looked good at first glance, infact 8gb torrents came down overnight before i noticed this issue:
My /c/media was shared as 'media' prior to uT install, offering folders such as Pictures, Video, Music etc.
After install my 'media' share was hijacked and offered the sub-folder 'utorrent' out of the media share (nothing else). This contained the utorrent from the addons config folder. I uninstalled uT 2.0.0 but did not get my old share structure back, so i renamed my media share to 'mediax' in frontview, and renamed it back to 'media' and i got my correct /c/media/ structure back.
Only thing I changed in webui was the torrent storage paths, actually to /c/media/BitTorrent/xxxx
==so perhaps the uT install messes with the share settings when a 'media' share is already existing??==
Could you help to clarify above S-P?

Hurrah I now have my media share back to its orginal state. Cant believe it was so simple after all that heart
ache.
Message 13 of 44
Seansvr
Aspirant

Well my issue has also been resolved. Netgear fixed it, but they haven't told me how.
Message 14 of 44
Seansvr
Aspirant

So after updating transmission the whole thing happened again. I followed Pidsly's trick and it worked! Ha, sometimes the solution is very very simple 🙂
Message 15 of 44
Pidsly
Aspirant

had you upgraded to 4.20 OS before running transmission again?
Message 16 of 44
Guilhem
Aspirant

I will try this evening the trick proposed. I have ticket open for almost 2 weeks but no progress at all... really long for an issue that should I think be addressed in a patch. An addon should not have the possibility to corrupt the access rights system... Still not very sure of the reliability of the ReadyNas to really offer a good security for data.
I tested with a MAC and on the protocol used by Apple, there are no issues: files appear normally in the media share. Seems to be an issue only with microsoft protocol.
Message 17 of 44
Seansvr
Aspirant

Pidsly wrote:

No, I first updated Transmission which disrupted the media share (still on Raidiator 4.2.19). I then upgraded the OS to 4.2.20 [T4] and thought it might fix the media share issue, unfortunately this didn't work. So I tried your trick - renaming the share in frontview - and that did work.
Message 18 of 44
Pidsly
Aspirant

Seansvr wrote:
Pidsly wrote:

No, I first updated Transmission which disrupted the media share (still on Raidiator 4.2.19). I then upgraded the OS to 4.2.20 [T4] and thought it might fix the media share issue, unfortunately this didn't work. So I tried your trick - renaming the share in frontview - and that did work.

Did you have to then, reinstall Transmission or was it already installed. I am on 4.2.20 T4 now. Only I uninstalled Transmission before I upgraded. I want to know whether I will loose the media share again if I now reinstall transmission?
Message 19 of 44
Guilhem
Aspirant

I renamed the Share media as indicated and it works. I got this evening mail from support to place my Nas in techsupport mode to mount the folder. I will ask if this renaming solution is satisfactory and if it can solve the issue after installing transmission. Now I have it uninstalled and I would like to install it again.
Message 20 of 44
tjmcc18
Aspirant

Can anyone provide an update on a permanent fix for this problem? Renaming the share seems to only fix things until you install something else or reboot your NAS. Has tech support provided any fixes to anyone?
Message 21 of 44
ndroberts1
Aspirant

I figured out what the problem is and here is a temp workaround for my problem.
Located in the /etc/frontview/samba# direcory is the Shares.conf file with an incorrect path referance.

[media]
path = /c/temp
comment = "Media Files"
oplocks = 1
admin users = "admin","Administrator"
write list = "@users"

I simply stop CIFS shares - edit the file. Change /c/temp to /c/media and restart CIFS from frontview.
This solves the problem until the next reboot. I have yet to figure out how to change it permanently.
Message 22 of 44
gleid
Aspirant

Thankyou for this extremely useful post! 😄 I finally understands what happened to my media share. media gets its data from webroot in my case, instead of c. I tried to rename the media folder back and forth, but it didnt work. It still points to webroot... Anyone else got that?

EDIT!
It works! I actually just had to turn off CIFS and THEN rename a couple of times. Then turn it all back on. And wey! It worked! Thanks people!
But when I restart the ReadyNAS the problem returns 😞
Message 23 of 44
gleid
Aspirant

Installed the 4.2 beta and it seems to work even after restart now! 😄 😄
Message 24 of 44
tubarao
Aspirant

@pidsly and all

This seems to solve the problem I described under the following link:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=59548

But since I am not a techie and my mother language is not english, could someone explain to me what are all the steps I have to do? I understand I have to rename the media share into something like "mediax" and rename it back to "media". But: is there any reboots to be done inbetween? or install raidiator 4.2.20?

Thanks in advance!
Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements