× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Enabling Jumbo Frames disables NAS access

sircoolio
Tutor

Enabling Jumbo Frames disables NAS access

I've got a ReadyNas Pro Pioneer and a Ultra 6 on the same network (router, switch, etc.). The Pro Pioneer has 4.2.25 and has jumbo frames enabled with no issues. Very fast copies via AFP and CIFS. Whenever I enable Jumbo Frames on the Ultra 6, also on 4.2.25, I lose access to FrontView, AFP, CIFS, etc. on the NAS after the mandatory restart. An OS reinstall solves the problem but resets Jumbo Frame to off.

Same problem on 4.2.24, BTW.

It's not the switch or the client computers that are the issue or the Pro would experience the same issue?! Any ideas on how to debug? AFP/CIFS performance is pretty poor on my Gb network without JF it seems.
Message 1 of 6
sircoolio
Tutor

And reading through the forums, I too have the condition where I can access the Ultra 6 via device on same network but wireless and get to FrontView etc. to disable Jumbo Frames.
Message 2 of 6
sircoolio
Tutor

Sorry to keep adding comments to the issue, but the only other configuration difference between the Pro and the Ultra is the at the Pro is using Ethernet 1 and the Ultra is using Ethernet 2.
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What happens if you connect to ethernet 1 on the Ultra rather than ethernet 2?

If you download the logs (Status > Logs > Download all logs) and extract the zip file what are the contents of bios_ver.log ?
Message 4 of 6
sircoolio
Tutor

Problem occurs when Ultra is connected to AirPort Extreme (latest hardware, DNS server for network) as opposed to the switch. Not being a networking whiz, I wouldn't have expected this, but I've resolved the problem.

Sorry for the false alarm, nothing to see here, move along. User error? Sorta?
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad you resolved it. Many routers (especially ones that are aimed at home users) don't support Jumbo Frames. Even those that do often don't advertise it due to it being an advanced feature that can require advanced troubleshooting if it doesn't work (the NIC in client PC, NAS or other device and the router all need to support Jumbo Frames, need drivers that support it installed and can need the feature to be enabled manually on all devices for each NIC individually). Putting a switch in between (which can eliminate the need for router jumbo frame support) is definitely a good way to go.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements