× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enabling bit-rot

Digital999
Luminary

Enabling bit-rot

For reasons buried in the long forgotten past we have NAS units without bit-rot protection on almost every share/file.  Most systems are using Raid1enabled.

If I understand this circumstance properly, once bit-rot is enabled I need to actually copy and read back the associated files to get the protection enabled.  Is my understanding correct or is there some way to force a checksum event for the newly enabled bit-rot files/shares?

Would doing a scrub function do the same thing – establish checksums for existing files?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Digital999
Luminary

Re: Enabling bit-rot

The short answer to my original question is that for bit-rot protection to be enabled it must be set on the file/share and then all data after that point that is moved/used/copied will have the associated protection.  Stuff that just sits there is not protected.

I set up a temp share and copied major parts of my data to the temp share.  Subsequently I copied back to the same location that had bit-rot protection enabled.  Took some time but certainly not impossible. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
a_carneiro
Tutor

No answer for you, sorry, but stumbled across this post and quite interested to know the answer as well....

Message 2 of 3
Digital999
Luminary

The short answer to my original question is that for bit-rot protection to be enabled it must be set on the file/share and then all data after that point that is moved/used/copied will have the associated protection.  Stuff that just sits there is not protected.

I set up a temp share and copied major parts of my data to the temp share.  Subsequently I copied back to the same location that had bit-rot protection enabled.  Took some time but certainly not impossible. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements