× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error: 0x80004002 accessing NSA

oldfart825
Guide

Error: 0x80004002 accessing NSA

Okay, here's my problem (yes, I know my NAS is old, but it works great for me): I just upgraded my daughter's system - fresh install of Windows 10 Home 64bit, version 1909. At this time SMB 1 is enabled, Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled.

In Explorer, in the right pane, I can see the NAS under Storage, but not under Computers. Clicking on the nas results in a "Error: 0x80004002 No such interface supported" message. I tried the "net use T: \\nas-ip-address\c /user:admin (nas password)" command, and it does work. HOWEVER... My own system, running the same OS with the same network setup accesses the NAS just fine. What I see as the difference in on my system, the NAS appears under Computers as well as under Storage in the Right pane, also under Network in the left pane. On my daughters system it does not. It appears only under Storage.

On my system, I have those drives on the NAS mapped as J: and K:, but I can't do that on her system. Any ideas? I'll get a new NAS when I can afford it, but for now I need to use what I have.

Model: RND2150|ReadyNAS Duo 500GB (1 X 500GB)
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
oldfart825
Guide

Re: Error: 0x80004002 accessing NSA

Okay... I unenabled both NetBIOS over TCP/IP and SMB1, restarted pc, re-enabled both again, and added the address and device name into the Hosts file. Restarted pc. No change. Looks like the only way is through the net use command, and that will have to work for now. Just an incentive to replace the NAS as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone for the help! If anyone has any other suggestions I'm certainly open to them.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 14

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@oldfart825

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried toggling Netbios, SMB and restart the PC again? It's isolated on your daughter's PC.

Message 2 of 14
StephenB
Guru

One option is to edit the hosts file on her PC (entering the NAS hostname and it's IP address).  That would work around any netbios discovery issues (which sounds like part of the problem).  If you do this, make sure the NAS has a reserved IP address in the router (or alternatively a static IP address).

You could also have a credentials problem on her PC (your net use command is explictly using NAS admin credentials, but file explorer likely isn').  But if entering \\nas-ip-address in file explorer works (being careful to use the correct slash), then your credentials are probably fine.

Message 3 of 14
oldfart825
Guide

I'll try toggling the NetBios and SMB settings and see if that has an effect. Thank you!

Message 4 of 14
oldfart825
Guide

Ok, not to sound totally ignorant, but what sort of format would that take in the LMHOSTS file? One of those rare things that I've never had to do.

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@oldfart825 wrote:

Ok, not to sound totally ignorant, but what sort of format would that take in the LMHOSTS file? One of those rare things that I've never had to do.

There's a guide here:  https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

The file name is hosts, not LMHOSTS.  The format is just IP-address <space> hostname - for instance

127.0.0.1 localhosts

You do need to edit the file with administrative privileges.

Message 6 of 14
oldfart825
Guide

Okay... I unenabled both NetBIOS over TCP/IP and SMB1, restarted pc, re-enabled both again, and added the address and device name into the Hosts file. Restarted pc. No change. Looks like the only way is through the net use command, and that will have to work for now. Just an incentive to replace the NAS as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone for the help! If anyone has any other suggestions I'm certainly open to them.

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@oldfart825 wrote:

Looks like the only way is through the net use command, and that will have to work for now.

Does entering \\nas-host-name in the file explorer address bar work? (using the real hostname of course)?  Did you try pinging the hostname from cmd?

If the issue is that the network neighborhood is incorrect, then you should still be able to create a desktop shortcut that opens file explorer and shows the NAS shares.  You should also be able to add a network location to the main file explorer pane.

So you do have other options that don't require net use.

Message 8 of 14
oldfart825
Guide

Yes, entering the device address in Explorer works, and I can ping the device. After much hair pulling I can now map the NAS drive the way I should, but it still doesn't appear in Explorer on my daughter's machine the same way it appears in mine. When I set mine up, all I had to do was enable NEtBIOS over TCP/IP and SMB1 and I was good to go. Hers refused to so so. After toggling both on and off and restarting several times, adding the NAS into the Hosts file, restarting it is accessable without going through the net use command. I would love to know why this machine was so difficult.

Message 9 of 14
oldfart825
Guide

The network neighborhood I don't know about. I don't use a workgroup or anything, and the NAS still doesn't show up in Explorer under Computers in the right pane, or under Network as it does on mine. It only shows up in Storage in the right pane.

Message 10 of 14
oldfart825
Guide

Oh, and using \\nas-host-name does work.

Message 11 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Right-click on "This Computer" and select "Properties".  On that pop-up, it will list the workgroup.  If that is different on the two computers, then that's the likely issue with it not appearing in Network.  "Change Settings" on that same pop-up will allow you to change it.

But the problem of not being able to easilly access it without resorting to using the HOSTS files is something that has evaded many, myself included.  You see postings all over about Linux SMB and Windows having this issue in come cases (Not just ReadyNAS and often not all computers on the same network), and Microsoft just gives their usual "try this" crap that works for nobody and ultimately takes no responsibility.

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@oldfart825 wrote:

The network neighborhood I don't know about.

... the NAS still doesn't show up in Explorer under Computers in the right pane, or under Network as it does on mine. It only shows up in Storage in the right pane.

Not showing up under "computers" is what I mean by the network neighborhood (which is an old windows name for this).

This particular aspect has been reported before, and there is no sure-fix for it that I've found here or in other forums. You can waste a lot of time trying to get it to work.

My advice is to use the four workarounds (perhaps in combination).

• learn to enter \\nas-name into the address bar of file explorer
  • create a desktop shortcut that opens up \\nas-name or \\nas-name\sharename in file explorer when you click on it
  • add a network location to the main file explorer window that opens up a NAS share.
  • map the shares you want to access with net use with /persistent:yes

These are all pretty easy to do.  I just enter \\nas-name myself.  My wife prefers using desktop shortcuts.

Message 13 of 14
oldfart825
Guide

I checked this, and all systems have the same workgroup - WORKGROUP. Since it's accessable now, we'll just go with that. I mean, I've never had problems with Windows, ever...(lol).

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements