× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Error making EXT3 filesystem on the USB device

pdelges
Guide

Error making EXT3 filesystem on the USB device

Like every 6 monthes, I wanted to back up a share on an external drive and followed my usual procedure: plug a USB drive on my NVX, format the drive (EXT3) and launch the job.

Surprisingly, the NVX refused to format the drive, here is what I got in the system.log:

Jul 26 12:10:25 BU-2TbRaid exportfs[15263]: /etc/exports [2]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' specified for export "*:/USB_HDD_2".   Assuming default behaviour ('no_subtree_check').   NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x 
Jul 26 12:10:25 BU-2TbRaid exportfs[15263]: /proc/fs/nfs/exports:1: unknown keyword "test-client-(rw"
Jul 26 12:11:53 BU-2TbRaid RAIDiator: Error making EXT3 filesystem on the USB device. [USB_HDD_2]
Jul 26 12:12:58 BU-2TbRaid RAIDiator: Successfully created FAT32 file system on the USB device. [USB_HDD_2]

As you can see, it was possible to format the drive with FAT32, but not with EXT3. The NVX runs latest radiator: 4.2.24

I tried at home with my Ultra2+ (raidator 4.2.23), and I could format the drive in EXT3 (and the NVX is now doing the backup job).
Last time I tried, and succeded, to format the USB drive on the NVX, it was still running raidator 4.2.22

Is it a known issue (I couldn't find anything on the forum!)?

p
Message 1 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

I have exactly the same error. It must be something to do with the last firmware update as I managed to format my USB drive with ext4 before that. Funny that no one else has logged this ...

Any Netgear Support person reading this - please confirm whether this is a known issue
Message 2 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

I have logged a service ticket with Netgear. I'll update this when I receive a reply.
Message 3 of 54
pdelges
Guide

Thanks chipmunk, and good luck with the support (I have currently 4 active tickets and didn't want to add another one now)
Message 4 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

Hmm ... that doesn't inspire me with confidence about Netgear support ...
Message 5 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you're saying formatting a USB disk works on a 64-bit device (Ultra) but not a 32-bit device (NVX)?

I don't have a NVX, but I'm informed that this is a known issue and will be fixed in the next firmware release.

In the meantime if you have SSH access you can do

# apt-get update
# apt-get install e2fslibs

and it will fix the issue.

Not sure if the fix is in the current 4.2.25 beta (not all changes are documented in release notes) but you could try it if you like: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=70385
Message 6 of 54
pdelges
Guide

@mdgm: I confirm I could format the drive with the ultra2+ (4.2.23), but not with the NVX (4.2.24).
Message 7 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

mdgm - what do the two instructions do?

# apt-get update
Message 8 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

# apt-get update

Downloads an updated list of packages from the sources found in /etc/apt/sources.list

Downloads and installs the e2fslibs package from the 4.2.24 repository, installing a fixed version that works on 32-bit models such as the NVX.
Message 9 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

Many thanks for this. I'll try it when I get home later this week.

Just to confirm that this is a fix for the problem preventing the format of external USB drives with Ext3 or Ext4 on an NVX?
Message 10 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes
Message 11 of 54
pdelges
Guide

updating e2fslibs fixed the problem on the NVX. Many thanks mdgm!
Message 12 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm. Sorted my problem out as well. Drive formated with Ext 4 and backup running now.
Message 13 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

I to have the troube with the EXT3 USB formating, I see there is a fix here but I dont understand how to use it I hope someone could tell me exactly what to do please 🙂 Thanks !
Message 14 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

Do you know how to use Putty? I have a tool called SSH Explorer (instead of Putty) which gives you a windows like interface into the Linux operating system of your NAS. This is what you need in order to run these commands.
Message 15 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

Thanks for your input. Sorry but I havent used it but I am willing to try if it`s not to difficult ?

Is there a link wich I can read/download to understand the installation process ?
Message 16 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

Forgot to say I am on a Mac machine but i have Windows on my Lan to ..:)
Message 17 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

I downloaded PuTTy, do i put my NVX ip-adress in the `Host Name for ip-adress`for connecting to the NAS ?
Message 18 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

Sounds right - it's a while since I used it. You will need to login as root and use (I think) your admin password as the password.
Message 19 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

I got a connection refused, do i need to open for allowing connection on the NVX ?
Message 20 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could install this x86 add-on: http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203
Message 21 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

Yes, I must have installed that a while ago
Message 22 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

:evil: OK - So I get connected to the readynas and get the root login but it tells me the password is wrong, I have even change the admin pass in the NVX so its definite the right one. But there is no sign coming in the space when I am typing the password but that is how it should be ?
Message 23 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

Let me try my one
Message 24 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The root and admin passwords are separate. So if you changed the admin password after installing EnableRootSSH the root password would still be your old admin password.

Install EnableRootSSH again and your root password should be changed to your admin password.
Message 25 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements