× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Error making EXT3 filesystem on the USB device

chipmunk1
Aspirant

OK - I can confirm that when you type the password that the cursor does NOT move. This is correct. Also, while I have managed to log in fine, I had to use my previous password, not my latest admin password. Maybe mdgm can advise what password should be used? Possibly the first password you used when you setup the NVX?
Message 26 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

OK folks success - Now I am in, what to do next then ?

Thanks for the inputs ! 😄
Message 27 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
The root and admin passwords are separate. So if you changed the admin password after installing EnableRootSSH the root password would still be your old admin password.

Install EnableRootSSH again and your root password should be changed to your admin password.

Jepp thats perfectly right my friend !
Message 28 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

Run the 2 commands

# apt-get update
# apt-get install e2fslibs
Message 29 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

Yes I run them one by one, I dont get any information that the commands where a success but I will try the EXT formatting now, I let you know i a minute how it goes !
Message 30 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Remember that you don't type the # when entering those commands. You should get output.
Message 31 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

Arghh - no luck !

Even did a reboot and try to EXT and tried again the commands and EXT again with no luck.... This is not my night I guess ...
Message 32 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Remember that you don't type the # when entering those commands. You should get output.

Aha...

Back to work ! 😛
Message 33 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

I get output on the commands but Error in making the EXT (same as the last times), thats both EXT3 and 4. I try making the FAT and that is a success. I have tried a reboot after installing the commands. Guess thats it ?

I am on RAIDiator 4.2.24 - I know there is a beta but not sure if that is what I want...

# Ohhh....why why #
Message 34 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

That's strange because it worked for me
Message 35 of 54
Johnnygrandis
Aspirant

I was so sure for it to work - it seems like I done everything right so yes that is strange.
Thanks again for the effort guys, I am sure it will be a fix in the near future ! Have a good night, well its night here in Norway!
Message 36 of 54
chipmunk1
Aspirant

I have checked and I was on 4.2.23 when I had the problem and fixed it with the 2 x commands. I am now on 4.2.24 and have just checked that I can still do an ext4 format - I can. The only thing I can think of is that the commands only work if you are on 4.2.23? mdgm may know more.
Message 37 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

4.2.25 should be released soon and include the fix so maybe wait and try that.
Message 38 of 54
rwalsh1
Aspirant

I am currently working with a NVX and having issue formatting an external disk for backup. Everything I have read seems to indicate that firmware 4.2.24 or later should have resolved that issue, but I am running 4.2.27 and can't format an external disk as ext3 or ext4. When I run a format command from the CLI I get the following:

NAS:~# mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdd1
mke2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
/dev/sdd1 contains a vfat file system
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Creating filesystem with 79083970 4k blocks and 4943872 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 5fdedf9b-460b-4615-959d-509742835889
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968

Allocating group tables: Floating point exception
NAS:~#

Any ideas on how to resolve this error? I have tried the apt-get commands listed earlier in this thread, but they tell me I am already running the latest version.
Message 39 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try formatting it using the GUI?

Have you connect the disk up to a PC and checked the health of the drive?
Message 40 of 54
rwalsh1
Aspirant

Yes, I tried from the GUI and the only format that works is FAT32. I then went to the CLI so I could see what the actual error was. As a work around I hooked the disk up to an Ubuntu box and formatted it ext4 on that system. It formatted with no errors and when I moved it back to the ReadyNAS it worked fine. I'm going to try with some other USB drives just to see if the issue was with the chipset in the enclosure I was using, but the same drive worked without issue on my NV+ for years.
Message 41 of 54
KILLI
Tutor

I've got the same problem with an ReadyNAS 2100 running Raidiator 4.2.27 (the latest one).
Can you confirm that it's still the same source of the problem, namely the e2fslibs being a buggy version which needs to be updated?

As I'm not a Linux guy, I didn't tinker with the ReadyNAS in any way, yet. Actually, I am a bit terrified that I'd have to, now... 😉
Message 42 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is a known issue. It should work on 4.2.26.
Message 43 of 54
KILLI
Tutor

Is it possible to safely downgrade to 4.2.26?
Do you know when 4.2.28 will be out, with this issue hopefully fixed?
Thanks!
Message 44 of 54
StephenB
Guru

You can safely downgrade, but you will lose some security fixes for Bash, OpenSSL and Samba (in particular shellshock).

If you allow web access to the NAS over the internet then your NAS would be hackable.
Message 45 of 54
KILLI
Tutor

Thanks for your answer!

Nonetheless I would prefer not having to downgrade, hence my question: Do you know when this issue will be fixed, probably via the next firmware version (4.2.28?)? When can one expect it to be released?
Thanks!
Message 46 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't have any ETA on that, but yes hopefully it will be fixed in that.
Message 47 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This has been fixed internally so the fix will be in 4.2.28.

If you are comfortable with SSH you can install the fix from our 4.2.28 repository.

First edit /etc/apt/sources.list to use the 4.2.28 repository using vi

# vi /etc/apt/sources.list

Then do

# apt-get update
# apt-get install e2fslibs

Then edit /etc/apt/sources.list to use the 4.2.27 repository again

# vi /etc/apt/sources.list
# apt-get update
Message 48 of 54
pdelges
Guide

I started this topic almost 2 years ago and this bug is still not fixed! Is there any hope to get 4.2.28 in the future or did this system reached its eol?
In the meantime I'll try your work around…
Message 49 of 54
KILLI
Tutor

I'd be highly interested in that, too!
As of yet, I haven't done a backup in months due to this error; and I'm not tech-savvy enough that the manual update procedure of this particular component would go smooth and without hassles.

It's sad, because it affects a ReadyNAS 2100 which was once sold as a business-unit. Having to wait forever for a fix this critical is unacceptable. I was planning on upgrading the 4x1TB-disks to larger ones, but given the support situation I'm reconsidering and also thinking of other manufacturers...
Message 50 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements