× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Error message "System volume root usage is 90%"

ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Error message "System volume root usage is 90%"

Out of the blue sky I get this message from my ReadyNAS RN628X: "System volume root usage is 90%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.". What does this mean and what can I do about it? I am running the latest firmware on my RN628X being 6.10.1.

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

In this folder there is also a file called core-readynasd (way lesser in size by the way) can I delete that file as well without consequences?

Yes.

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

One last question: I was warned that with no space available I run the risk that the NAS configuration files can get corrupted. Is this something I can check if this corruption already occured?

There's no bullet-proof check.  If you can see the shares list in the admin web ui, you are probably ok.  Also look in system->settings->services and make sure the services you use are all marked with the green bar.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ronaldvr2132,

This message means that the OS partition is getting full. This is usually caused by apps installed on the OS partition. Have you tried installing any apps through SSH?

If you are comfortable in accessing the NAS via SSH, you can take a look on that said partition through that method. Otherwise, It would be best if you contact  NETGEAR support so they can check your NAS and free the OS partition. 

Regards,

Message 2 of 15
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Thank you JohnCM_S for coming back to me. As to the possible cause: I don't have any apps installed on my RN628X. The only thing that I can think of is that it has something to do with either the antivirus or indexing functionalioty that I am using or maybe back-ub jobs that were not started or interrupted because of a bad line to my other RN628X. Other then that I can't think of anything else. And as to the usage of my RN628X I am way below what the RN628X is designed for in terms of users, number of files, file changed in a certain time period etc.. Out of curiosity how big is the OS partition and can that be increased? And as to SSH into the RN628X. I might know womeone who can assist me is there some documentation on this? Thanks again!

Message 3 of 15
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

In the meantime I have asked a collegue to look at the usage and he could not see anything extrordinary. But he saw some big files including a file with the name e-aurndb-write-db which seems to be 2.8Gb. In the meantime my NAS has only 38MB free at the root level and is eating up space in a very fast manner without knowing why. I saw some back-up jobs that were cancelled (probably due to a bad line connection) can that be a cause? As a precaution I switched off the anti virus service and the file search (indexing) service. Will a reboot help or should I not do such a thing? Very worrying and annoying this by the way!

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

In the meantime I have asked a collegue to look at the usage and he could not see anything extrordinary. But he saw some big files including a file with the name e-aurndb-write-db which seems to be 2.8Gb. In the meantime my NAS has only 38MB free at the root level and is eating up space in a very fast manner without knowing why.

Move e-aurndb-write-db out of root (putting into a share on the data volume).  That should free up enough space immediately to give you breathing room to continue analysis. 

Don't create a new share (that might fail with no root space - and corrupt your configuration).  Instead move it to an existing share with ssh.  After you have space, you can create a temp share, and move it again.

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

In the meantime I have asked a collegue to look at the usage and he could not see anything extrordinary. But he saw some big files including a file with the name e-aurndb-write-db which seems to be 2.8Gb. I saw some back-up jobs that were cancelled (probably due to a bad line connection) can that be a cause? 

Sometimes if the USB drive unmounts during a back-up, the system will write files to the USB mount point.  If that happened, these would be files that are also on the data volume somewhere.  What is the path to these files?

Note that it is handy to remount the OS partition as /mnt (which drops the mount points in root) when you do this kind of analysis.

# mount --bind / /mnt

Then examine /mnt.  When done, just umount /mnt.

Message 5 of 15
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Hi StephenB thanks for the suggestion. Before we move the file can you let me know what the file is for? Can we move it without interuption of he system? And should the file be soo big?

Message 6 of 15
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Just an addition: looking at the file again the following is the corect name (a part of the name was not copied correctly):

/cores/core-aurndb-write-db and the file size is 2.46G of the total what seems to be 4G as total for the root

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

Hi StephenB thanks for the suggestion. Before we move the file can you let me know what the file is for? Can we move it without interuption of he system? And should the file be soo big?

AFAIK it's not something the NAS created - so I don't know what it is for.

You should be able to move it w/o issues.  If you want to be really conservative you could create a soft link to it after the move.  But I don't think you will need to do that.

Message 8 of 15
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

So the file /cores/core-aurndb-write-db (of 2.4G) is not created by the NAS? But that would mean somehow else it came on my NAS. Any idea's? I have never SSH-ed into my NAS before and have not installed any app. I only use standard functionality. Very strange that there is such a file and it is huge! Anyone else that has the file on their NAS? It is a big mystery for me. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able with the assistance of my collegue to move it and I hope my NAS will be running smoothly in the meantime.

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

/cores/core-aurndb-write-db is a core dump, so it was created when something crashed. You could just delete it, or as I said before you could move it to the data volume.

You should do that quickly, as you can corrupt the NAS configuration files if the root gets completely full.
Message 10 of 15
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Clear and thanks StephenB. I now had the time to look at the log and 1 second before I got the message first I see the following line:
System: ReadyNASOS service or process (aurndb-write-db,readynasd) was restarted.
It seems that this file was created when my back-up jobs were cancelled due to too much retries. Most unfortunate by the way that this dump is put into the root of the RN628X instead of another environment (like VAR?).
As I am not aware of Linux commands via a SSH session and I will only see my collegaue tomorrow maybe it is wise to delete the file or move it just to be sure indeed before tomorrow. Is this an easy command I can execute myself?
If my back-up jobs are exeucuted in about 2,5 hours it might be that another issue pops up and the remaining storage is filled. Hope you can assist so that I can move the file (that would be my preference instead of deleting, just to be sure). Thanks, Ronald

Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

Is this an easy command I can execute myself?

Start by entering ssh root@nas-ip-address from the search bar on a Windows 10 PC.  Log in with the NAS admin password.

There's no need to move the file (and it's best to get rid of it quickly).  You can just delete it using

# cd /var/cores
# rm core-aurndb-write-d

Then type exit to log out.

There's a bit more information on what a core dump is here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Core_dump

Message 12 of 15
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

As it seemed to be very important to free up space as soon as possible and my colleague was able to assist remotely I was able to delete the 2.4G file (aurndb-write-db).

I noticed by the way that it was in the folder /var/cores and not in /cores only as I mentioned before. In this folder there is also a file called core-readynasd (way lesser in size by the way) can I delete that file as well without consequences? In my previous message I mentioned that the files were created following the message in the log: "ReadyNASOS service or process (aurndb-write-db,readynasd) was restarted". The only thing what happened at that time was that my back-up jobs were started and cancelled due to a lot of retries as the line between my RN628X was of a very bad quality because of an internet connection issue on the receiving RN628X. I am putting this here as it might be something that Netgear or someone else can look at to come to a root cause and solution for me but others as well so that this does not happen again in the future. One last question: I was warned that with no space available I run the risk that the NAS configuration files can get corrupted. Is this something I can check if this corruption already occured?

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

In this folder there is also a file called core-readynasd (way lesser in size by the way) can I delete that file as well without consequences?

Yes.

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

One last question: I was warned that with no space available I run the risk that the NAS configuration files can get corrupted. Is this something I can check if this corruption already occured?

There's no bullet-proof check.  If you can see the shares list in the admin web ui, you are probably ok.  Also look in system->settings->services and make sure the services you use are all marked with the green bar.

Message 14 of 15
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Thank you for the great help StephenB which is much appreciated. I deleted the file core-readynasd as well and have disabled SSH again. To me it seems that all the shares are still there and also the services that I had activated seems to be complete (and green) as such I hope nothing got corrupted. Thanks, Ronald

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements