× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error when trying to "Send Message" to Alert Contact "Unable to send a test message"

itnorm
Aspirant

Error when trying to "Send Message" to Alert Contact "Unable to send a test message"

After some time it displays a message box with "Unable to send a test message".

I've restarted the nas.

I've tried a Microsoft email address instead of a gmail address.

Emails have been sending succesfully for many months.

I have made no changes that I know.

It does show that "Email service to send emails is configured properly" with a green checkmark in front of it.

Firmware version 6.10.0.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 14
yxue
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Error when trying to "Send Message" to Alert Contact "Unable to send a test messa

Can your NAS connect to internet? Do you ever change your Network?
Message 2 of 14
itnorm
Aspirant

Re: Error when trying to "Send Message" to Alert Contact "Unable to send a test messa

Thanks for your reply.

When I did a "Check for updates" I got this error:

https://i.gyazo.com/059687a6222bcf1d2f3b61884edc9893.png

However, the other day I used putty to connect to it and successfully downloaded an app from the internet.

These seem to contradict each other.

Plus, I have another NAS that is identical located at a client in another town that is using rsync successfully to do backups to this one.

When I click on "Cloud" in the top menu, it says "Internet Unavailable".

I putty'ed into the NAS in my office and got this:

https://i.gyazo.com/740b3821ad29c9b99502f1eb12bb3ff9.png

I see that ping succeeded to google, but ifconfig shows 16 errors for Rx with both ethernet links.

Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@itnorm wrote:

I putty'ed into the NAS in my office and got this:

https://i.gyazo.com/740b3821ad29c9b99502f1eb12bb3ff9.png

I see that ping succeeded to google, but ifconfig shows 16 errors for Rx with both ethernet links.

What bonding mode are you using for the two NICS?

Are you using static IP addresses?  If so, did you remember to set up the DNS server?

On the errors, perhaps check back later and see if the counts increase.

BTW, if your local network doesn't use IPv6, I recommend disabling the protocol on the NAS.

Message 4 of 14
itnorm
Aspirant

The ethernet ports are not bonded.

Rx errors are at 19 right now.

IPs are not static and have not changed.

IPv6 has been disabled.

Message 5 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@itnorm wrote:

The ethernet ports are not bonded.

That could be part of the problem.  I suggest disconnecting the second ethernet port for now.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't use both ports unless you are bonding them.

@itnorm wrote:

Rx errors are at 19 right now.

It's odd that they both are in lock step.  Is the NAS connected to a switch or is it directly connected to your router?

Message 7 of 14
itnorm
Aspirant

Well, I went to try the email test thru ssh as you suggested and now I can't access the NAS thru putty.  Tried different users and different ip address (eth0 and eth1) and a different computer.  All return a message that says "Remote device unexpectedly closed network connection" after I enter the password.  Also, noticed that it seems to taking alot longer than other days, it takes several minutes after I enter root for the password to appear and then several minutes for the message to appear.

Then I disconnected one of the ethernet cables.

Putty connected at its faster and usual speed.

And the email test mesage was sent and received.

Thanks.

I have a side question related to this area.

Can I do a local connection thru ssh and a remote connection thru rsyncoverssh and use different ports?

I'd like the rsync to still use port 22, but the local ssh to use another port.  Is there info on how to do this if possible?

Message 8 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@itnorm wrote:

Well, I went to try the email test thru ssh as you suggested and now I can't access the NAS thru putty.  Tried different users and different ip address (eth0 and eth1) and a different computer.  All return a message that says "Remote device unexpectedly closed network connection" after I enter the password.  Also, noticed that it seems to taking alot longer than other days, it takes several minutes after I enter root for the password to appear and then several minutes for the message to appear.

Then I disconnected one of the ethernet cables.

Putty connected at its faster and usual speed.

And the email test mesage was sent and received.

This would confirm the suspicion an unluckly (default) Kernel/IP stack config - where the return traffic is not forced to incoming interface, the default does allow using any interface connecting to the same interface, what good firewall software does simply refuse.

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:This would confirm the suspicion an unluckly (default) Kernel/IP stack config - where the return traffic is not forced to incoming interface, the default does allow using any interface connecting to the same interface, what good firewall software does simply refuse.

@itnorm: Did you remove the cable from lan port 2 as I suggested above?

Message 10 of 14
itnorm
Aspirant

Yes, cable removed.

Thanks, again.

Can local ssh and remote ssh use different ports?

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

They both use 22 in the NAS, but you can forward a different port in the router to port 22.

That's a reasonable idea, but it won't eliminate the threat of hacking - it just lowers the odds a little.

Message 12 of 14
itnorm
Aspirant

I'm not trying to eliminate the threat of hacking.  There is a remote NAS that uses rsyncoverssh to send backups to the NAS in my office and it is running all the time on port 22.  I would like to do a local ssh at the same time without interfering with the rsyncoverssh.  If I connect locally thru putty and ssh with port 22, will it interfere with the remote NAS using port 22?

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@itnorm wrote:

If I connect locally thru putty and ssh with port 22, will it interfere with the remote NAS using port 22?

It won't interfere.

It's easy to test - try opening putty twice, and make two ssh connections to the NAS.  It works fine, even if both instances of putty are running on the same PC.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements