× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Exact Steps For Getting Into Tech Support Mode?

PeteCress
Apprentice

Exact Steps For Getting Into Tech Support Mode?

Ultra-6, experiencing the infamous "Boot-Shutdown Loop".

I'll call support as soon as I have the box in Tech Support mode and have the ID number.

But the LED display goes dark instead of supplying the device's ID number.

Here is what I do:

• Start with box powered off

• Hold Reset switch continuously

• Turn box on, still holding Reset switch

• When "Boot Menu" comes up, release Reset switch

• Navigate Boot Menu choices by pressing Backup button

• Stop when "Tech Support" shows

• Press reset switch one more time

After that last step, I'm expecting to see something - including the machine's ID number - on the LED.

But the LED just goes dark.

What am I doing wrong?
Message 1 of 19
beisser1
Aspirant

nothing, this should work.

can you check raidar if it sees the nas?

btw you can turn the display back on by pressing the powerbutton once.
Message 2 of 19
PeteCress
Apprentice

beisser wrote:
nothing, this should work.

Bingo! I guess the third time is the charm.

RAIDar is now seeing the box and displaying "TELNET- 51370".

Anybody care to poke around right now?

Existing CaseID = 1432 6926.

Oops... somebody in support has closed that one.

New CaseID = 1441 6542.

Had a brief semi-conversation with guy #480052, but the connection was hopeless. It's been about half an hour and he has not called back.

EDIT 2011 16:16:
"Ok... lets call these guys back...."

1st Call:
On hold most of the time, call dropped at 5:39

2nd Call:
00:00 Dialed 888-NETGEAR, started the clock.
05:30 Got through to an operator
06:24 In response to my question of whether I was talking to Level-3 or not, operator told me that I was now connected to "Level 3" support
08:24 Finally got down to business with "Level 3" guy.
20:30 Established that this person was permitted only to give advice over phone, was unable to telnet into my box, and did not believe it possible remotely.
24:30 Finally convinced the guy it was possible and people were doing it. He then said the "GearHead" department could do that and said he would transfer.
31:05 Same guy came back on line to confirm my case#, said again he was transferring call
32:30 Lady came on line to confirm CaseID and phone number and ask what the problem was.
33:45 Lady said she was going to transfer me to a technician. This lady's was almost impossible to understand bco a heavy accent.
35:07 Guy came on line, asked what the problem was.
39:03 "Just a moment, let me check..."
40:30 "How many hard drives are in the device?"
42:00 "We cannot support devices with six hard drives.." Said he would transfer me.
42:43 Lady #2 picked up, asked for CaseID, confirmed email, said she would transfer me.
42:50 Guy came on, really bad connection. Said he would call back.
45:48 "Eric" called back within the minute, good connection, asked for CaseID.
46:55 "Please stay on the line while I check your account"
48:07"You are in the wrong department. I will transfer you."
53:34 Started getting ring tones.
55:09 After the tenth ring, "Thank you for choosing NetGear. Your call cannot be completed.... We apologize... Goodbye."

Oh well....
Message 3 of 19
beisser1
Aspirant

ok i had a look at the case.. you were never connected to any l3 tech (would have been strange if you were.. they call you, not the other way round :))

i will take a look at it.
Message 4 of 19
beisser1
Aspirant

ok should be fixed now
Message 5 of 19
PeteCress
Apprentice

beisser wrote:
ok should be fixed now

I just noticed the LCD change. Re-booted, looks A-OK...Thanks ever so much.

Was it the leftover file thing?
Message 6 of 19
beisser1
Aspirant

ya
Message 7 of 19
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Fr 21. Jan 2011, 23:39 - Fr 21. Jan 2011, 23:43

4 minutes to fix an issue - that's impressive !!!
Message 8 of 19
PeteCress
Apprentice

WSJ wrote:
Fr 21. Jan 2011, 23:39 - Fr 21. Jan 2011, 23:43

4 minutes to fix an issue - that's impressive !!!

100% agreement - in the context of the person who actually fixed it.

But it would be more impressive if it had not involved an hour of getting nowhere on 888-NETGEAR.

There seems tb a disconnect between the NetGear phone line and the people who actually know things and can do something - at least with a ReadyNAS Ultra-6.

This does NOT diminish my gratitude to bEisser for taking pity on me and fixing the problem in response to my plea on the forum - but I have to wonder what would have happened if I did not know about the forum or did not think to ask for help there, and had just relied on 888-NETGEAR.

What would be impressive (maybe "impressive" is too strong a word.... "expected" fits better...) - in the context of overall NetGear support - is sombody answering the phone, understanding my statement of the symptoms, knowing who can fix the problem, and hooking me up with same in, say, fifteen minutes or less.
Message 9 of 19
beisser1
Aspirant

PeteCress wrote:

What would be impressive (maybe "impressive" is too strong a word.... "expected" fits better...) - in the context of overall NetGear support - is sombody answering the phone, understanding my statement of the symptoms, knowing who can fix the problem, and hooking me up with same in, say, fifteen minutes or less.

no chance.. the amount of L3 Engineers is pretty limited and they have loads of work. i fixed your issue in my own free time.

what normally should happen is this:

1. you call
2. L1 takes the call, gathers all necessary info and escalates it to L2.
3. L2 does some troubleshooting (a specific symptom can have multiple causes, so they need to try to figure out whats going on)
4. L2 asks you to put the unit in techsupport mode and escalates the case (if they cant fix)
5. L3 takes up the case after a while (depending on how much workload they have) and fixes the problem if possible

this can take anywhere from a couple of minutes to several hours (sometimes even days).
Message 10 of 19
PeteCress
Apprentice

beisser wrote:
I fixed your issue in my own free time.

Thats what I figured and please don't let my support bashing make you think I am not grateful.

what normally should happen is this:

1. you call
2. L1 takes the call, gathers all necessary info and escalates it to L2.
3. L2 does some troubleshooting (a specific symptom can have multiple causes, so they need to try to figure out whats going on)
4. L2 asks you to put the unit in techsupport mode and escalates the case (if they cant fix)
5. L3 takes up the case after a while (depending on how much workload they have) and fixes the problem if possible

this can take anywhere from a couple of minutes to several hours (sometimes even days).

As indicated by my rather long rant, the system doesn't seem tb working quite as advertised....-)

Especially in the case of the guy who didn't even believe it was possible to telnet to the box remotely. I had to lean on him for about five minutes over-and-over again to get him to call around and finally determine that the "GearHead" department could do it - either that or he just wanted to shut me up....
Message 11 of 19
jgreen1280
Aspirant

@beisser

Hello, I noticed you are one of the many brilliant minds in the forum.

I have an issue, similiar to this one. Tried may things I have read on-line, and none have solved. I know what the issue but I just dont have any method to repair. Here goes:

I can ping, ftp, and access via smb/cifs. I simply cannot access frontview. Basically, what I believed happened, I was broswing around Netgear's site, found what appeared to be a plugin for Tivo. Since I have 2 of them, I thought this would be a wonderful feature. Unfortunately, I was having trouble enabling the feature. Front View would lock up on me while I was trying to enable the plugin. Eventually, It finally enabled, although I couldnt select the share it would use to present media to my Tivo's. After rebooting it, via Front View, I coulnd no longer access Front View.

I was hoping to place in tech support mode (telnet) and go into the unit to simply disable the Tivo and Bittorrent plugins, except I dont work for netgear and dont have the trade secret to telnet in using support mode 😄

As the plot thickens, I was gifted this nas, ReadyNAS 1100 from my company, as they used it years back for archived backups. Because of this, I cannot register for support with the serial, thus I cannot open a ticket with support, and being that it is out of warranty (im sure), I figured telephone support may turn me away.

If I didnt have 1-2 TB of data on it, I would have just reset to defaults. Currently, I use it to backup my Old, soon to be retired Buffalo NAS.

If you can help, Wonderful!!! If not, I completely understand that as well!

Thanks in advace,

JG
Message 12 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What do you see under the "Info" (far right) column in RAIDar?

By the plugin for TiVo, what exactly did you do to enable this feature? Simply try to enable it via Frontview under Services > Streaming Services > ReadyDLNA?

You haven't installed the EnableRootSSH add-on to enable SSH by any chance? If you have you could SSH in and attempt to fix the problem.
Message 13 of 19
jgreen1280
Aspirant

In the far right, it just shows the current firmware revision number, which is the one released back in August or whenever it was.

As for the Tivo plugin/add-on, I went to Netgears download page for the device, selected the option to view additional plugins/add-on, and if I remember correctly, after installing it, it didnt show up under the regular plugin option in frontview, it showed up one tab above, under streaming services. I'm not sure if it was the ReadyDLNA one or not.---> Now as I look back at my recent downloads, that was what it was: ReadyDLNA_1.0.21.bin

Unfortunately, I did not install the EnableRootSSH Add-on. I'm kicking my self now...wishing i did.

Currently, I have the NAS in Tech-Support telnet mode, hoping someone will wither help me get in, or offer to hop in for me to fix 🙂
So in the far right now, I have TELNET - 58396
Message 14 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Something I forgot to suggest: you might want to try an OS Re-install (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu)
Message 15 of 19
jgreen1280
Aspirant

Thanks again for the assistance and prompt reply!!!
Unfortunately for me, i tried that and no go. Strangely, i can access everything except front view, including accessing the device remotely using the remote Android app
Message 16 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I hoped that would solve it. The ReadyDLNA included in the latest firmware is actually newer than the version in the file you mentioned.

If Frontview has been broken somehow you will get the symptoms that you mentioned. The only way to fix it (if a OS Re-install doesn't work) is via SSH (which you don't have enabled) or tech support mode.
Message 17 of 19
jgreen1280
Aspirant

Thanks, i just didn't want to reset.
Message 18 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Fixed. jgreen1280's NAS was suffering from the same problem as described in http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=35920

Still had old Bittorrent conf file incompatible with current firmware and had two ReadyNAS Photos conf files one of which was causing problems. Removing Bittorrent and renaming the problem Photos conf file solved the problem.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements