× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Exchanging from ReadyNAS RND4000 (Duo 2) to ReadyNAS 214

Kornettisten
Aspirant

Exchanging from ReadyNAS RND4000 (Duo 2) to ReadyNAS 214

I remember the name of my ReadyNAS as Duo2 only, but registered as RND4000v2 in my profile.
But in general I understand that it is not possible to move these disk from my old NAS to the new one I plan to buy, the ReadyNAS 214?
Some collegaues of mine say so, and I can't find any easy solution to my project rather than copy everything to the PC disk (I don't have much stored, actually) and then install the old disks one buy one in the hew one and copy the datas afterwards.
Right?

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Kornettisten wrote:

I remember the name of my ReadyNAS as Duo2 only, but registered as RND4000v2 in my profile.

First of all, an RND4000 is a four-bay model, not a Duo.  You could have a v1 (Sparc) platform or a v2 (Arm) platform.  The labeling is confusing, and many v1 owners mistakenly believe they own a v2.

If you tell us what firmware you are running, we can tell you what platform you have.

@Kornettisten wrote:

But in general I understand that it is not possible to move these disk from my old NAS to the new one I plan to buy, the ReadyNAS 214?

That is correct.  You can reuse the disks in the new NAS, but they will be reformatted and all data would be lost.

So if you decommission your current ReadyNAS, then you will need to offload your data.

Another option you should consider is keeping your current ReadyNAS running, and use it as a backup to your RN214.  If you do that, you'd get new disks for the RN214 (ideally leaving one or two slots empty for expansion later).   Then you can use the backup job feature of the NAS to copy the files from the old NAS to the new one.  That would be a NAS->NAS transfer, the PC wouldn't be involved.

After that's done, you can reverse those backup jobs, so that they'd automatically update the old ReadyNAS every day. 

RAID alone isn't enough to keep your data safe, and if your current NAS is still operational, it's cost effective to repurpose it as a backup.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Kornettisten wrote:

First of all, an RND4000 is a four-bay model, not a Duo.  You could have a v1 (Sparc) platform or a v2 (Arm) platform.  The labeling is confusing, and many v1 owners mistakenly believe they own a v2.

If you tell us what firmware you are running, we can tell you what platform you have.

@Kornettisten wrote:

That is correct.  You can reuse the disks in the new NAS, but they will be reformatted and all data would be lost.

So if you decommission your current ReadyNAS, then you will need to offload your data.

Another option you should consider is keeping your current ReadyNAS running, and use it as a backup to your RN214.  If you do that, you'd get new disks for the RN214 (ideally leaving one or two slots empty for expansion later).   Then you can use the backup job feature of the NAS to copy the files from the old NAS to the new one.  That would be a NAS->NAS transfer, the PC wouldn't be involved.

After that's done, you can reverse those backup jobs, so that they'd automatically update the old ReadyNAS every day. 

RAID alone isn't enough to keep your data safe, and if your current NAS is still operational, it's cost effective to repurpose it as a backup.

Message 2 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Kornettisten

Welcome to the Community!

Yes, it is not possible to just insert the disk to the new NAS since they are on a different OS.

If your NAS is still working you can transfer the data to an external disk and then use the disk to initialize the RN214, Just transfer the data once the RN214 has been setup.

If your RN214 has disks included, you can actually initialize the RN214 and connect it to your network then do a backup job on your Duo V2 and point it to the new NAS.

Otherwise, you can still use the old disk but you will have to follow instructions found here and contact Support for assistance. Note that you will need to purchase a Data recovery contract to complete this procedure.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 3 of 6
Kornettisten
Aspirant

Model: ReadyNAS NV+ v2    

Serial: <redacted>  

Firmware: RAIDiator 5.3.13  

This is a 4 bay NAS, yes. I am not sure why I think of Duo2.
Thank you for advices!
2 disks in en each of the old and new NAS is probably appropiate for my small scale usage.
First of all I have to buy a new NAS.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Kornettisten wrote:
Model: ReadyNAS NV+ v2    

Serial: <redacted>  

Firmware: RAIDiator 5.3.13  

This is the arm based platform (called a v2 here).

Message 5 of 6
Kornettisten
Aspirant

I am a very light user of the ReadyNAS compared to most people, I guess.
The files I transfered to an external disk and sent back again after the installation of the 214 model.
Later I will propably buy new disks and use the old NAS again. Waiting for good disc prices. 😉

Now I have to learn about how to administrate external users and connection to a ReadyCloud share. But I have just began planning this part.
A surprisingly option is tha ability to reroute my GoogleDisk to the NAS. Nice, but frst of all I must get hold of all the users who are supposed to use my Cloud

Thank you for the support with the NAS exchange!.

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements