× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Expanding a ReadyNAS NV+ in RAID1

binglee_eg
Aspirant

Expanding a ReadyNAS NV+ in RAID1

I have a question about the possibilities of expanding a RAID1 in the ReadyNAS NV+ (4.1.8)

It seems that if I try to expand a RAID1 volume (ie, replace one disk with a bigger one, resync, replace the old smaller drive with a bigger drive, resync) I will only get the volume to be the same size as the old disks, and the volume will not expand to the bigger disks. But am I able then to use the free space on the new drives for a new volume? (assuming of course on the old disks there was only 1 volume).
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Expanding a ReadyNAS NV+ in RAID1

Flex-RAID (e.g. RAID-1) volumes are not expandable on Sparc ReadyNAS e.g. NV+ v1. Only X-RAID volumes are expandable.
Message 2 of 4
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Because the ReadyNAS will not expand in Flex-RAID on the Sparc units, you will have to factory default the unit to use the additional space. Follow the link below to factory default your ReadyNAS.

- http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... ry_default
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Or you could add an additional volume to use the extra space. However backing up your data, then doing a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) would be a better option.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements