× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Expanding from 1 to 2 disks, and creating raid1 (without losing data)

Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Expanding from 1 to 2 disks, and creating raid1 (without losing data)

Hi,

Short question: Can I have 1 disk in my readynas ultra (running os6) with data on it, add an additional drive (same size) and change the volume to raid 1 without losing the data? (I have tried reading the knowledge base, but cannot get a clear answer)

Long version: I run an ultra 6 with 6 old 2tb drives, that are in need of replacement.

I have looked at some nice new 14 tb drives, and thought of getting 2 new ones. Adding one to my pc, backup all the data from the NAS to said drive. Put 1 14tb drive into the Ultra6 and reset it, copy all the data into the readynas, then add the other drive for redundancy. Is this possible? I know I can expand from raid 1 to 5, but cannot figure out if you can go from a basic volume to raid 1 (I know that Synology units can do this).

Regards, Ney.

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Expanding from 1 to 2 disks, and creating raid1 (without losing data)

@Ney wrote:

Hi,

Short question: Can I have 1 disk in my readynas ultra (running os6) with data on it, add an additional drive (same size) and change the volume to raid 1 without losing the data? (I have tried reading the knowledge base, but cannot get a clear answer)

Yes.  The default XRAID setting will do this.

With your process, you should

1. hot insert the second drive
  2. format it from the volume page 

After the formatting completes, the NAS will convert the volume to RAID-1.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Expanding from 1 to 2 disks, and creating raid1 (without losing data)

@Ney wrote:

Hi,

Yes.  The default XRAID setting will do this.

With your process, you should

1. hot insert the second drive
  2. format it from the volume page 

After the formatting completes, the NAS will convert the volume to RAID-1.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements