× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Experience with OS 6 on Legacy....

droz1
Aspirant

Experience with OS 6 on Legacy....

Does anyone have any thoughts, tips, caveats to running OS6 on legacy hardware?

I see lots of complaints, problems, etc. I'd like to hear from anyone that's got it running and using it on a day to day basis.

I just bought a 316 and have that building the array. I also have an NVX and Ultra 4 Plus. Was thinking that it would be nice to have the newer OS and features on the U4+

Current use for my NVX is media storage and streaming with backups of my personal files from the U4+. The U4+ is used for Bit Torrent, media streaming and personal files.

The NVX I picked up for super cheap a little over a year ago from Green Citizen. I think the backplane has gone bad as two drives will occasionally "go dead". So I shut it off and let it sit. I turn it on after a few days and it works fine. Hence the new 316

Going to have to shuffle things around from one NAS to the other.

If I think that OS 6 on the U4+ isn't viable or worth it in the long run. I'll stick to 4.xx
Message 1 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Experience with OS 6 on Legacy....

OS6 works well for me on legacy ReadyNAS, but it's a personal decision which way you go. You can go back to OS4 but it requires another factory reset: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=75198
Message 2 of 19
droz1
Aspirant

OK that's good to know.

Saw a couple mentions that fan speed is stuck on high in OS6 on legacy. is that still the case?
Message 3 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No. That was on older builds.
Message 4 of 19
CharlesR
Guide

droz wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts, tips, caveats to running OS6 on legacy hardware?

I only use SMB (for media serving) and iSCSI at times and have had nothing but a great experience with OS 6.x. I have used 2, 4, and 6 bay models.
Message 5 of 19
Xophile
Aspirant

Hi! I've used OS6 on my Ultra 4 since June 2014. Never had any major issues at all. Fan speeds work fine, absolutely no problem.

I enjoy the new graphical layout in the OS and it feels a little more "future proof".

Did have some file access troubles on one folder but this forum helped me to quickly resolve it.
Message 6 of 19
Xophile
Aspirant

By the way. I use my Ultra 4 to store pictures and share media, mostly FLAC-media from my own music collection. I also use Subsonic and Mysql for XBMC (Now knowned as Kodi)
Message 7 of 19
dsm1212
Apprentice

I'm very happy with OS6 6.2.2 on a PRO6 (with upgraded processor and 8GB memory). I'm running ssh, plex, subsonic, sickbeard/couchpotato/headphones, utorrent, openvpn, logitech media server, and of course file sharing (photos, backups, videos). The newer linux distro in OS6 made using open source much easier so many of these I installed and configured myself.

steve
Message 8 of 19
howarddavidp
Aspirant

Hello,

New here, if I have a ReadyNAS Pro 6 RNDP6000-200, which OS6 file should I use, since it will not show up on my support page?  Which other NAS should we look at to download the OS6 file?

Thanks,

David

Message 9 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

See e.g. the third post in this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

You need a special image to do the upgrade and don't forget to backup your data first.

After upgrading to OS6 subsequent firmware updates are done using the ordinary OS6 x86_64 image file which is used for the 300 series and up in desktop models.

Message 10 of 19
howarddavidp
Aspirant

Hello,

My upgrade went without issue, very easy and worked 1st try.  I used the 2 files from my other post, and I backed up everything so it worked out well.  However, when I restored, only 1 of my backups came back.  Luckily, the other 2 backups were not important, so it did not matter.

Very happy, all is well.  Thanks for your reply.

David

Message 11 of 19
Supertramp11
Luminary

When I upgraded my PRO 6 to OS6 a few months ago, it immediately went to version 6.3.5.

I like to keep a copy of this version as a backup on my PC. Is there a place where I can dowload the OS 6.3.5 firmware for the PRO 6?

It doesn't appear here: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/RNDP6000-200NAS%20(ReadyNAS%20Pro%206)

Thanks.

Message 12 of 19
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Supertramp11,

You can download firmware v6.3.5 on this link for purposes of having a copy of it.  

For me, you cannot use firmware v6.3.5 on your Pro 6 even if your Pro 6 has been updated to OS 6.x firmware.  Its because firmware v6.3.5 was released exclusively for the ReadyNAS RN200 series only.  Furthermore, the RN200 series are Arm-based NAS unlike the Pro 6 which is an Intel-based NAS.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 19
Supertramp11
Luminary

Hi DaneA,

Thanks for yourt reponse.

Please be aware that the thread below, allowed me to install 6.3.5 to the PRO 6 and it works absolutely great:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-upgrade-question-on-legacy-Pro-6/m-p/97885...

Unfortunately I don't have the intel based firmware of this version for the purpose of having a copy of it.

Regards.

Message 14 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You don't need a copy of that. If you still have that R4toR6 image you used, you can use that to put 6.3.5 on other R4 systems you have if you want. Remember running OS6 on OS4 systems is unsupported.

6.3.5 is old firmware now. 6.4.1 is the latest.

Message 15 of 19

@dsm1212

Saw your post about running sickbeard on OS6 on RNU6... I'm trying to do that aswell, and I seem to be able to install the plugins from the app store, but not sure they are configuring properly. Plex and Transmission seem to be ok. Can't use the SSH at all. Couchpotato and Sickbeard seem to let me configure the, and they recognize Transmission, but don't find any content for download.

Any advice on how to setup/test the media grabbing apps? I can't seem to find any configuration or installation instructions for the readynas packaged apps. Is there some documentation I can follow for step by step installation and configuration of these open source tools?

Thanks for reading this, any hints are appreciated.

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 16 of 19
dsm1212
Apprentice

My description would not be for the faint of heart :-). I've enabled ssh and pretty much installed everything myself. I did use the sickbeard addon but later switched to a new/better distro from github. I used the qbittorrent addon and then from ssh built and installed the latest qbittorrent. I added qbittorrent support to headphones but haven't got it up to github yet because the maintainer has kind of blocked out master with some tests that fail.

Essentially you start by getting ssh access, then installing git. Then for each app using SSH I added a user account for that app to run out of and put it in the users group. Then I created a directory under /apps. Say /apps/sickbeard. su to the sickbeard account and use git to replicate the source. Configure the ini file and start the app. Once you get it working you need to add a startup script in /etc/init.d unless you used an addon and automatic startup is already in place. If you used the addon then just update the software put down by the addon to the version you want. Sorry, I'm sure this is not what you wanted and if you are not comfortable you should not do this. Be very careful setting all paths in the ini files as you can fill up the root partition quickly and it can be a pain to clean up. Trust me, I know :-).

steve

Message 17 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Better to use systemd than init.d scripts.

There may be newer versions of some apps e.g. in super-poussin's Dropbox or at rnxtras.com

Message 18 of 19

Thanks, It actually helped, though you were right it was not because I ended up follow your step by step, but rather it gave me context and got me thinking about my problem differently.

Also, somehow with my troubleshooting my ctrl-click issue (another thread), the ssh and sickbeard apps started working a little better, enough to give me enough in the sickbeard logs to diagnose and fix some of the issues it was having.

I really like your idea of creating a user account per app, and I may still follow that at some point, cuz I really don't trust the current "all apps can ready/write anywhere" situation that the default installations seemed to give me. Just not looking forward to the security rework!

Thanks so much for your post!
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements