× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

External HDs no longer recognizing

PropTop99
Aspirant

External HDs no longer recognizing

External HDs on the ReadyNAS 312 seems to flake out and now no longer show up.

- Rebooted the NAS, connected to a different USB port, connected to Server (showed up) did a reformat anyway, did a 'scandisk'. Still won't show up.

- Changed drives, same behaviour.

- Current Firmware: 6.9.1 (Updated Dec 21/17 - BEFORE this problem started to occur)

- No idea if the model is correct since the 'System' page doesn't display it. Only the 'ReadyNAS 312'

How do you fix this issue since it seems like it occurred after the Firmware Update? Is this a known issue??

Model: RN31221D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: External HDs no longer recognizing

Hi @PropTop99

Have you removed the disk on your server by ejecting it? Or just unplugging? 

How many times have you tried doing a repair on the external HDD?

Kindly send me a download link on the logs so we can check.

Regards

Message 2 of 10
PropTop99
Aspirant

Hello Marc,

The customer has 2 WD External HDs that they swap out. The BU is configured to eject the drive after the BU has completed.

With respect to the server, I had them plug it in and I remotely did a scandisk, previously a format, and I ejected the disk and had her plug it back into the NAS using both the top, bottom and front ports with the NAS not picking up the drive at all.

The 2nd Internal Drive on the NAS was replaced a week ago but the issue was occurring before that as well. (reported potential impending failure)

I've attached the logs which shows the issue occurring and getting worse with the drive connecting and disconnecting repeatedly for some reason.

Thanks.

It appears that you CAN'T attach a log file because it's a ZIP?? Ok, please change the extension from .pdf to .zip and extract it.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@PropTop99 wrote:

It appears that you CAN'T attach a log file because it's a ZIP?? Ok, please change the extension from .pdf to .zip and extract it. 

There is information leakage if you publicly post logs, which creates some privacy loss.  Netgear recommends emailing them as described here: https://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators#SUBMIT

They are also fine with storing them in a repository (dropbox, google drive, etc), and either emailing or PM (private messaging) the link.

Message 4 of 10
PropTop99
Aspirant

Logs removed from the Post and sent to Support.

Thanks for the heads-Up StephenB!

R.

Message 5 of 10
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Can you try plugging the drive into the front USB port?

Message 6 of 10
PropTop99
Aspirant

I tried both drives on front and the back ports to no avail. Cable is good since the server recognized the drive when it was plugged in just fine. 😕

Message 7 of 10
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

The logs indicate that the communication with the drive from the USB3 controller causes the controller to shut down.  But the front port and the back ports are on two completely independent USB controllers, so it would be extremely odd for both controllers to not recognize a perfectly good drive attached to a perfectly good cable.

Are you able to try attaching a different USB device to see if it works?  Since the controller shuts down after your usual drive is connected, you should try this after a fresh reboot without the "bad" drive attached.

Can you try rebooting the system with no USB drives attached; then attach the drive to the front port.  If it's still not recognized, then download the logs and send them in.

Message 8 of 10
PropTop99
Aspirant

I've tried this in my testing but this time it seems to have picked it up on the Front USB port. I've changed the BU job to reflect the current connection and am running it so I have an up to date copy of everything I need from the NAS.

Once completed, it'll eject the drive. At that point, I'd like the customer to plug it in one of the back ports to see if it recognizes properly (if you agree). If it DOESN'T, I'll assume the controller for the back is kaput unless I have a different USB drive to connect than the two the customer is currently using.

Does that sound reasonable? Is there another course of action you'd like to take?

Thanks,

Message 9 of 10
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

That sounds reasonable to me.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation