× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: External hard disk not recognized (either in USB nor eSATA) on my ReadyNAS104

Jojo90
Tutor

External hard disk not recognized (either in USB nor eSATA) on my ReadyNAS104

Hello all !

I have a big problem : I bought an external dock (with USB and eSATA port), to archive the data of my NAS onto external hard disks.

It always worked great with my old 2TB Western Digital Green hard disks, as well with USB than with eSATA.

Coming to the end of my 2TB stock, I have decided to start archiving these data on my news 3TB Western Digital Green... And here comes the problem ! :s
It's truly impossible to make them recognized by the NAS !
I tried many of my 3TB hard disks, with 3 different external docks (with USB & eSATA ports) : without success !
I even try to format my disks in exFAT and NTFS : without results !

I'm blocked : I don't know what to do to unblock the situation :s
Has someone already had this problem ? and already solved it ?
Except putting the disks directly into my computer, and transferring through BPL (it's soooooooooo long !), I'm stuck ! Please, help me ! :'(

If someone has an idea, I take it ! 😉

Thanks in advance for your help, and merry christmas to all of you ! 😉
++
Jojo

PS : Oh ! I've almost forget to say that my ReadyNAS 104 is in 6.4.1 firmware release (the last one, it seems).

Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: External hard disk not recognized (either in USB nor eSATA) on my ReadyNAS104

Does the dock work properly with 3 TB drives in your PC?

A lot of old docks don't handle disks > 2 TB.

Message 2 of 11
Jojo90
Tutor

Hello Stephen !

Yes it works well, even with my 4TB disks.

Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It could be that the Linux drivers for the dock are not compatible with high capacity disks.

Shortly after connecting the dock, can you download the logs and send them in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 4 of 11
Jojo90
Tutor

Hello mdgm !

First of all : thank you for your help !!! 😉

I'm currently not @Home, but I'll send you the logs asap !

And once again : Thanks for help !

I wish you all a happy new year ! 😉

++

Jojo

Message 5 of 11
Jojo90
Tutor

Hi again !

Ok, I'm now @Home (but traveling to Portugal tomorrow evening...), I've just sent you an email (with logs) with this description :

Here is the procedure I have followed :
1/ I've flushed the old logs (from the interface).
2/ I've powered-on the external disk in his USB/eSATA dock.
*** Waiting a bit, so the disk has well been woken ***
3/ I've plugged the USB connector (in the lower back USB port, or in the back eSATA port).
*** Waiting a bit, so the logs have been created ***
4/ I 've exported the logs files

I did this with both 2TB (well working) WD Green Disk, and with 3TB (not working) WD Green Disk, both in USB and eSATA (both ports working with 2TB Disk, and both ports not with 3TB).

Once again, I have to tell you how grateful I am for your help !
Thank you very very (VERY !) much !
And happy new year to you and all your friends and family !

Regards,
Jojo90

Message 6 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Message 7 of 11
Jojo90
Tutor

Hello Skywalker !
Thank you for your help !

Have you received my e-mailed logs ? So if it's the same problem as you described in this topic, the next update (OS6.3) should correct my problem, shloudn't it ?
Any idea of the release date ?

Just to give another information that could be interesting : all my HD (2TB and 3T) have one only NTFS partition...

Thanks to all of you, guys !

Regards,
Joel
Message 8 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, I saw your logs.  You should make sure that your 3TB drive has a partition.  It looks like the filesystem may have been written to the raw device with no partition table.  Most new bare drives come out of the box with no partition table.

Message 9 of 11
Jojo90
Tutor

Hello Skywalker !

Sorry for the delay : I was in holidays in Portugal for 3 weeks.

It's really strange, because I'm actually using these disks (formatted in NTFS) on my computer... and before that, they were into a friend's Synology NAS (of course I have reinit these disks in Windows Disk Manager, from many "RAW" partitions into 1 only NTFS partition).

Thanks for your help. If you need more informations, don't hesitate to ask, it would be a pleasure ! 😉

Jojo90

Message 10 of 11
Jojo90
Tutor

Hello Skywalker !,

Did you receive my answer to your pm ?

Are you always ok to debug my problem ? Do you need a 4Tb disk connected during the debug ?

Thank for you help

Jojo90

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements