× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

davidfriend
Aspirant

FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Our ReadyNAS 2120 (6.2.2) is joined to AD, and we are getting a bunch of entries in the smbd log that look like this:

[2015/04/09 09:25:37.852262, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:315(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [BMiller] -> [BMiller] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

[2015/04/09 09:25:37.875888, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:315(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [BMiller] -> [BMiller] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

and then a moment later it will succeed, looks something like this:

[2015/04/09 09:25:33.010802, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:305(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [BMiller] -> [BMiller] -> [TENPLUS\bmiller] succeeded
[2015/04/09 09:26:30.264147, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:305(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [BMiller] -> [BMiller] -> [TENPLUS\bmiller] succeeded

Anyone have some ideas on what is going on?
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Those enteries look normal

Windows tries to login first with BMiller, then it tries local BMiller, then it tries domain BMiller

If when you enter the username you enter it as TENPLUS\bmiller do you no longer get the error messages in the smbd log?
Message 2 of 4
davidfriend
Aspirant

The primary complaints have been from users that are on OSX so they are not members of the AD, so your response makes sense.

In this case I posted though, bmiller was on a Windows 7 joined to AD, so he isn't entering a new username/password. I would think the NAS already knows he is TENPLUS\bmiller ?
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Windows would still go through the standard process. I don't think this is something to worry about.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements