× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP Backup error

Retired_Member
Not applicable

FTP Backup error

Firmware 6.9.2

Occasionally, FTP scheduled backup fails with the errors below. We scheduled the exact FTP backup activities with another client, and everything works: only the ReadyNAS fails.

-------- Backup Job Information --------
Backup Job Name: XXX
Backup Job Type: Full
Protocol: ftp
Backup Source: [remote:ftp]/ftp://xxxx
Backup Destination: xxx
Backup Start Time: Wed Feb  7 2018 15:05:02
Backup Finish Time: Wed Feb  7 2018 15:09:18
Backup Status: Fail: Connection cannot be established. Check the connection and authentication, if required.
Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: FTP Backup error

Up!

@Retired_Memberwrote:

Firmware 6.9.2

Occasionally, FTP scheduled backup fails with the errors below. We scheduled the exact FTP backup activities with another client, and everything works: only the ReadyNAS fails.

-------- Backup Job Information --------
Backup Job Name: XXX
Protocol: ftp
Backup Source: [remote:ftp]/ftp://xxxx
Backup Destination: xxx
Backup Start Time: Wed Feb  7 2018 15:05:02
Backup Finish Time: Wed Feb  7 2018 15:09:18
Backup Status: Fail: Connection cannot be established. Check the connection and authentication, if required.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 2 of 11
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

What about now? Do you want to try upgrading to 6.9.3?

Message 3 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes of course. I'm upgrading just now.

Will tell you in a couple of hours.

Message 4 of 11
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

What happens after the upgrade? Or can you connect to FTP in another way?

Message 5 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've always had the ability to connect to that ftp.

Anyway, the problem occurs occasionally (let's say 50% of times, or, for a daily job, once it works and the day after it doesn't).

After the upgrade, for two days it seems to be working.

Message 6 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Unfortunately the problem persists even after the upgrade:

Error backup job xxx: Connection cannot be established. Check the connection and authentication, if required. -------- Backup Job Information -------- Backup Job Name: xxx Backup Job Type: Full Protocol: ftp Backup Source: [remote:ftp]/ftp://path_to_ftp/ Backup Destination: [Backup]/xxx Backup Start Time: Wed Mar 28 2018 15:05:04 Backup Finish Time: Wed Mar 28 2018 15:07:44 Backup Status: Fail: Connection cannot be established. Check the connection and authentication, if required.
Message 7 of 11
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

I've been trying to set every one hour, two hours, four hours until 24 hours, schedule full backup first time or every time, but I cannot reproduced this problem. Could you please provide more detailed information?For example, set every few hours, full or incremental backup job, the file size for backup files.Thank you.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps it would also be useful to set up a local FTP server for testing, and see if you can replicate the problem on your LAN (removing the internet path from the equation).

Message 9 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The bakcup is a daily backup (every 24 hours from 15.05 to 23.05).

I could try a local ftp address, but I need the remote one to work.

This is the first time an application fails to connect or whatever other action with my ftp server, so I'm pretty sure it's a Netgear problem, but I'm not able to provide further details.

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, I tried this with an FTP server over the internet, and I also got a connection timeout on a data transfer.  The web ui log showed "Connection cannot be established" - though it was in the middle of the backup job, so that particular error is misleading. 

The backup job failed at that point.I then re-ran the backup job and it worked correctly.  I don't see anything useful in the log zip file.  This particular server is fairly slow, so I am wondering if a timeout changed.  Is the backup job supposed to retry (e.g., download resume)?

FileZilla transfered the files successfully the first time. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements