× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FTP Backups Failing Since 6.9.3 Update (ReadyNAS 204)

tkevans
Apprentice

FTP Backups Failing Since 6.9.3 Update (ReadyNAS 204)

Since the update to firmware 6.9.3, all my ftp-based backups have all been failing.  Login simply never succeeds.  Using the "test connection" button silently times out, with no error or other message.  Manual ftp connections to the backup sources work fine.  Has something changed?

Message 1 of 6
tkevans
Apprentice

Replying to my own post...

The failing backups were of my home directory on my hosting provider's  (hostmonster.com) system. Just spent an hour on line with hostmonster tech support.

They are able to see incoming, succesful logins when I start a backup on the ReadyNAS, but then a logout.  Session does nothing. Manual ftp works ok, from my desktop's Fedora command line, with Filezilla, and with the "Monsta" ftp client app I downloaded from NetGear today.  It's just the ReadyNAS ftp-based backup that's failing.

Again, there's no error message from the ReadyNAS backup connection attempt.  It simply times out after 90-120 seconds.

I'd like to fall back to firmware 6.9.2, but don't see an FAQ or other info on how to downgrade the firmware.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Netgear discourages firmware downgrades, but you could try downloading the arm 6.9.2 from https://kb.netgear.com/000053277/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-9-2 and see if you can manually install it from the system->settings page.

Message 3 of 6
tkevans
Apprentice

You have no comment on the original problem?

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@tkevans wrote:

You have no comment on the original problem?

I don't work for Netgear, so I have no idea on their status on this.

I did try an FTP backup job over the internet with 6.9.3, and it didn't go that well - but it didn't have your symptoms either.  In my case the login worked, but the data connections were timing out.  Some files transferred ok, but others didn't.  I gave up on it, and used FileZilla instead (with the data volume of the NAS mapped to a PC drive letter).

Message 5 of 6
tkevans
Apprentice

OK, thanks.  Hopefully, someone from NetGear will address this question. (I also have workarounds, of course.)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements