× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FTP Default Folder

readyarne
Aspirant

FTP Default Folder

Hi,

I've enabled FTP on my ReadyNAS, but when I login I come to the root folder and can see the available folders that's enabled for FTP.
As I only have one folder enabled for FTP on my ReadyNAS, how can I configure this service to login automatically to this folder?
I have an IPCam that needs to connect directly into a folder with write permissions (as I cannot configure which folder to wright to on my IPCam).

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
krungkrung
Tutor

Hello,

Just disable FTP access on other shares that you do not have to access via FTP. Then on System - Settings tab, make sure FTP is enabled, and set Authentication mode as Anonymous.
Message 2 of 8
readyarne
Aspirant

Thanks JennC1, but are there any way to do this with user and password? I cannot leave my FTP-site open with anonymous login.

Also, when I leave it to anonymous, it doesn't show the files in the directory.

Thanks!
Message 3 of 8
sdouek
Guide

Go to services and set FTP Authentication Mode to : USER

In Frontview go to the Share you want to give ftp access to.

Default Access should be set to - Disabled

Share access for the file protocol can be restricted using the access list(s) below.
Decide which user or group on Your NAS you want to have read access only and which you want to have write access (write access gives both)
put in the group or user you want to have access to the share via FTP.
Make sure the proper boxes are checked.

if you want everyone who has access to that share via FTP to have complete control then check the
"Automatically set permissions on new files and folders."

When new files are created over FTP, set file permission as follows. Group rights are permission for members of the file owner's group. Everyone refers to all other users not in the file owner's group.
Group rights: Everyone
Everyone rights: Everyone

When new folders are created over FTP, set folder permission as follows. Group rights are permission for members of the folder owner's group. Everyone refers to all other users not in the folder owner's group.
Group rights: Everyone
Everyone rights: Everyone.

Hit Apply

Done.
Message 4 of 8
sdouek
Guide

Just as a note if you give a user or group access via FTP, only the shares they have access to will show up.
Message 5 of 8
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

There could be a way if you are comfortable using SSH:

You would need to edit /etc/frontview/proftpd/User.conf
There you could change the line DefaultRoot to /var/ftp/[your folder name]

BUT:
  • No other folder on a higher level can be accessed anymore via FTP

• No one without privilege to access the folder specified can use FTP anymore.

• Do this at your own risk please

• This is something that came to mind. Ideally, wait until people on the forum have commented on this.

Bye,
Eskender
Message 6 of 8
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

You can probably configure different Default Root Folders for different users, thus making Note 1 and 2 above irrelevant.

Bye,
Eskender
Message 7 of 8
readyarne
Aspirant

Thanks Eskender. Edit the Users.conf over SSH worked out!

I couldn't make this work otherwise.

Thanks all for your help! 🙂
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements