× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP Folder Names Problem

_Phil_
Aspirant

FTP Folder Names Problem

I can connect to the FTP just fine on my ReadyNAS 204 but the folders are shown with long names full of Unix information.

For example a folder that should show up as just "FTP" instead shows up as... (owner id and name replaced)

"users;UNIX.mode=0770;UNIX.owner=xxxxx;UNIX.ownername=xxx; FTP"

If I try to enter the folder I get the following in the logs...

Status:    Retrieving directory listing of "/users;UNIX.mode=0770;UNIX.owner=xxxxx;UNIX.ownername=xxx; FTP"...
Command:    CWD users;UNIX.mode=0770;UNIX.owner=xxxxx;UNIX.ownername=xxx; FTP
Response:    550 users;UNIX.mode=0770;UNIX.owner=xxxxx;UNIX.ownername=xxx; FTP: No such file or directory
Error:    Failed to retrieve directory listing

It's trying to access with the full wrong folder name. If I manually try to enter with the correct name "FTP" it works fine.

I have the same issue on any client.

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
_Phil_
Aspirant

Re: FTP Folder Names Problem

OK, well there's at least two "solutions", and thanks to all for the help.

1. Use a client that used LIST instead of MLSD, e.g. CoreFTP.

2. Change the FTP user primary group in AD to have no space in it. This could be a new group, which is what I did instead of renaming "Domain Users".

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

I'm running 6.9.1 on my RN526x, and I am not seeing this behavior with FileZilla or with Chrome.

Message 2 of 18
_Phil_
Aspirant

Yep I'm also running 6.9.1.

Also just tried this on my old ReadyNAS 104 and it has the same issue.

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

What FTP client are you using?

Message 4 of 18
_Phil_
Aspirant

FileZilla and WinSCP both have the same issue.

I just tried with web browser and it works... but I can't upload with the browser.

So it's very weird, thick client doesn't work, browsers show it properly...

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

It is weird, and I'm not seeing it myself with FileZilla.  I didn't try WinSCP though.

Message 6 of 18
tnorton00
Guide

I'm having the exact same issue.  CoreFTP works just fine.  Netgear refuses to accept that their update did something.  

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 7 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Sounds like it's unique to the ARM based systems.  Has anyone with an Intel based system seen this?

Message 8 of 18
_Phil_
Aspirant

@tnorton00 wrote:

I'm having the exact same issue.  CoreFTP works just fine.  Netgear refuses to accept that their update did something.  

You have saved me, CoreFTP works for me too! That is such good news for me, thankyou for letting me know. I think you're right, one of the updates broke this as it used to work fine. I wonder what it is about CoreFTP that means it reads it correctly? Thanks again!

Message 9 of 18
tnorton00
Guide

You're welcome, Windows FTP browsing works fine as well FYI.

Message 10 of 18
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi All,

As posted from @tnorton00 's post

Issue is with FTP Clients using MSLD command to retrieve file/folder information. FTP Clients using MSLD command cannot handle Domain users whose Primary group name contains a space e.g. "Domain Users".

Workaround is either to change the Primary Group name or use a FTP client that uses LIST command.

Hope this helps

Regards!

Message 11 of 18
tnorton00
Guide

Very strange, I had no issues with FileZilla with firmware 6.7.1 and older but changing to 6.9.1 gets installed and FZ gets this issue but the problem is with FZ?  Seems fishy.

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@tnorton00 wrote:

Very strange, I had no issues with FileZilla with firmware 6.7.1 and older but changing to 6.9.1 gets installed and FZ gets this issue but the problem is with FZ?  Seems fishy.

Let's take it from the top.

• Are you using Active Directory?
  • If so, do you have a space in the Primary Group Name?

Message 13 of 18
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Very strange, I had no issues with FileZilla with firmware 6.7.1 and older but changing to 6.9.1 gets installed and FZ gets this issue but the problem is with FZ?  Seems fishy

The issue is not only connected to FileZilla but with other FTP clients using the MSLD command as per investigation.

The tests were conducted on NAS running 6.8.0 up and integrated into an AD. So if your NAS is not joined to an AD but you still get the same issue providing us the logs might help.

Also, if your NAS is joined to an AD and ftp users belong to a Primary group with a space in its name then you can actually test by logging in to FileZilla and another FTP client like the Windows Internal FTP client or leapFTP to see if it will get the issue on FZ and log in fine on the latter. Then create a test user which belongs to a primary group whose name does not have space and see if it will properly log in to Filezilla or WinSCP and other FTP clients

Regards

Message 14 of 18
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi all

Just following up on this, are you still getting issues after changing the primary group with no spaces on its name?

Regards

Message 15 of 18
_Phil_
Aspirant

I'm not changing "Domain Users" to not have a space in it, that just doesn't sit right with me.

However, what I did was just create a new group with no spaces, added the user and made it their primary group.

This worked, and is a good enough solution for me.

Message 16 of 18
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @_Phil_

Thank you for sharing your resolution and/or workaround. We appreciate your contribution to the community.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards

Message 17 of 18
_Phil_
Aspirant

OK, well there's at least two "solutions", and thanks to all for the help.

1. Use a client that used LIST instead of MLSD, e.g. CoreFTP.

2. Change the FTP user primary group in AD to have no space in it. This could be a new group, which is what I did instead of renaming "Domain Users".

Cheers.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements