× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP Server ReadyNAS Duo V2

rodan123
Aspirant

FTP Server ReadyNAS Duo V2

I am having a lot of trouble setting up anonymous FTP on my ReadyNAS Duo V2.

I turned on the server and selected anonymous access. I filled in the masquerade field with my static external IP.

I pointed port 21 to the ReadyNAS fixed IP on my local LAN.

I try to log into the server from my lan using the local IP. I get a login prompt.Type anonymouse or ftp for the user name, get a meesage that anonynous logins are alllowed, enter email as password. Enter password, Login fails, unknown user.

Checked the Readynas proftpd log file see; USER Anonymous: no such user found

Looked at the passwd file, no ftp user. Looked in /etc/default/config/etc/passwd;  has an entry ftp:x:97:97::/home/ftp:/bin/false

Copied that user to /etc/passwd. Anon login works locally. Tried from the internet. Cannot connect to server using external IP. Don't think it is my networking, as I can set up FTP and point the router to a Linux computer and everything works great.

Found that whenever I make a change to the FTP setup or the FTP share from frontview it wipes the ftp user from the passwd file. I can set up a user account and password for ftp and that works OK. Still no access from outside my LAN though.

I am out of ideas anyone have a suggestion as to where I sould look?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FTP Server ReadyNAS Duo V2

Hi rodan123,

Welcome to the community!

Can you tell us which Firmware is running in your ReadyNAS Duo v2 unit?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
rodan123
Aspirant

Firmware is the latest 5.3.11, I believe.

I have worked out some of the problems.

I added the ftp user back into the passwd file and then used pwconv to copy to the shadow file. Now I can log in anonymously using either ftp or anonymous as a user name. I can make changes to the ftp service via frontview with no issues, but if I make changes to the share I have assigned for ftp, it wipes the ftp user from the passwd and shadow file and I have to manually add back. Don't know why.

As for access from the internet, that had to do with opening ports for passive ftp on my router, something I didn't have to do using vsftp from another linux system.  So after arranging that on the router and via the frontview config, I can connect via active and passive ftp.

So the only issue I have left is that the ftp user gets removed if I make changes to a share that has ftp access enabled.

Also, I want to change the login message, I tried adding a ServerIdent line to /etc/proftpd.conf but it gets wiped whenever stop/starting or making changes to the ftp service from frontview, is there a way to add custom configuration?

Message 3 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rodan123,

Haven't encountered this problem yet. Let me do some little digging and let you know what I'll find.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements