× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FTP setup

Numb3r6
Apprentice

FTP setup

Whist I am pondering a full NAS upgrade a little issue has come up that is bugging me.

Here's what I am trying to achieve. I have a couple of IP cams on my home network. I have them set up to respond to motion, which prompts capture of stills/video which are then emailed to me, and also saved to an FTP client on a spare PC I have. Works fine.

I am now thinking, well if the NAS is up and running, and has FTP, why bother with that PC as well, and use the NAS as the target for image captures instead.

I messed with FTP a while ago on the NAS, but have now reconfigured it a little, with a new share and a specific user account with R/W access to that share. I have tested this using a Windows client and File Explorer, and also using FileZilla client. Both allow connections to the FTP site using the new userid, and I can transfer content to the FTP share. This is then visible via FileZilla, Win Explorer or an FTP browser session. Excellent.

Then the odd bit. I reconfigured the cam so that instead of pointing to the Win PC/FTP, it looks to the FTP on the NAS instead. There's a "test" function in the camera config, but when I try it, the following error is returned
"Test ... Failed Can not upload file. Please be sure your account is authorized"

Now I don't profess to be an FTP expert but given other sources can log onto the share and transfer data, I'm puzzled. I've even reset the cam to factory and started over, no change. If this involved external access then fair enough, it might be tricky, but everthing is on the same network. I have to be missing something really obvious, but cannot see it!

Any suggestions? Thankyou.

Model: RND2000v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

The problem with many embedded ftp clients is that they want to upload to the ftp root - this is where the ReadyNas does not allow to upload date, instead the client has first to choose a shared folder ... unless your cameras can be configured to upload to a certain path, there won't be much luck. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are the cameras using the same account/passwords as you were using with FileZilla?

Also, are they using straight FTP?  Or are they using SFTP or FTPS?

Message 2 of 7
Numb3r6
Apprentice

Regarding the FTP. account, that’s why I created a fresh one on the NAS, as a clean slate.

I populate that account into either FileZilla or Windows depending how I’m connecting, and it’s all fine. Put the same account info into the cam config, no go. As far as I can see it’s just regular FTP across the board, but I’ll double check in case there were options I overlooked, though I can’t recall any other settings/options right now.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Masquerading could be a factor.  FileZilla can work around masquerading issues, but other clients can't.  If the cameras are on the home network, then make sure it isn't used on the NAS.

Also, there are two flavors of FTP - passive and active.  The dominant setup is passive, but it is possible that the camera needs active.

If you have a link to the camera user guide, perhaps post that.

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

The problem with many embedded ftp clients is that they want to upload to the ftp root - this is where the ReadyNas does not allow to upload date, instead the client has first to choose a shared folder ... unless your cameras can be configured to upload to a certain path, there won't be much luck. 

Message 5 of 7
Numb3r6
Apprentice

Boom! FTP path!

There must some difference between how things are handled when dealing with a Windows client with IIS/FTP running vs. how the ReadyNAS provides the service. In the cam FTP path dialogue, the default is "./" which I presume is the root. Now that works just fine with a Win10 client FTP service, and in fact it creates its own subfolders based upon date. All good.

Now what the NAS seems to have done on having the new FTP share created is create a subfolder off the root named as per the share, and the cam config doesn't know about that, so I modded the value to "./NASFTPsharename" and it's working with the account I'd created.

Just need to play with security a bit now, to make sure I only open it up as much as needed.

At the moment I don't know how the RN422 handles FTP but this has moved me a step closer to that upgrade.
Thanks for the pointer! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Great it helped!

@Numb3r6 wrote:

There must some difference between how things are handled when dealing with a Windows client with IIS/FTP running vs. how the ReadyNAS provides the service.:

Yep, that's it. Many generic FTP servers you create a specific folder for the service, either by user, or by user group - so the default path (the ftp root) is a writable and readable folder already. Many NAS (Q, R, S) ftp do list the shared folders in the FTP root, and before uploading a path must be selected. or cd'ed to first.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements